PDA

View Full Version : First timer screwing it together, need assurance I am not screwing up....

cdherman
07-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Ok, Shilen prefit barrel going on in 7mm Saum. Barrel blocks of white oak and typical barrel nut wrench.

I have Hornady Head Space Comparator. My stock brass, RP is very consistently 1.656" (remember, this number is NOT the SAAMI headspace number, its just a comparison number).

For my go-guage I added a piece of 3m, -- it measured out at about 1.6585 (calipers only accurate to .0001) and when I double the tape, I get to 1.661 for no go.

I threaded to the go guage and tried to tighten the nut, but the reciever always turned. I could not hold the reciever sufficiently to tighten the nut.

So I bought the Wheeler action wrench.

Now, to day, I used it, along with a 18" torque wrench on the nut wrench. First I tightened to 75 f/lbs -- but I could still turn the reciever with the Wheeler action wrench. This did not seem right.

So I gave it all I had with a breaker bar instead of the torque wrench. Has to be close to 200 ft /lbs, as I am not weak.

But I can STILL turn the action with the Wheeler wrench. Not easily. The nut moves with the action.

Is this OK?

brtelec
07-04-2012, 02:35 PM
I run the nut up to finger tight and then give the nut wrench a firm tap with a rubber mallet. Done.

cdherman
07-04-2012, 02:38 PM
I run the nut up to finger tight and then give the nut wrench a firm tap with a rubber mallet. Done.

How do you keep the action from moving when you do that? I tried that too -- resulted in the action spinning and screwed my headspace up.

mbkmkk
07-04-2012, 02:44 PM
This is what I do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPlFtskCwng&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLB91BA239DE4D1845

cdherman
07-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Well, after watching the video -- I can say for sure that if one were to put that barrel in a barrel vice and to the handle in the receiver blocks, one could still turn the reciever. Seems like it probalbly doesn't matter -- just becuase I can turn it with a long handle, doesn't mean it will ever turn in the real world.

northlander
07-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Just to clarify, you make it sound like your action is spining inside of your Wheeler Action Wrench. If you are using an action wrench correctly, you will have a 1/4-28 bolt going through the cap of the action wrench and into the front action screw hole. Using the 1/4-28 bolt you will not be able to turn the receiver without the entire action wrench rotating with it.

Jim Briggs
NSS

cdherman
07-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Just to clarify, you make it sound like your action is spining inside of your Wheeler Action Wrench. If you are using an action wrench correctly, you will have a 1/4-28 bolt going through the cap of the action wrench and into the front action screw hole. Using the 1/4-28 bolt you will not be able to turn the receiver without the entire action wrench rotating with it.

Jim Briggs
NSS

No, the action is not slipping inside the action wrench. I did not use the bolt, but instead employed a tip I read elsewhere, by wrapping a layer of 220 grit sandpaper, grit out, and then bolting the wrench home.

mousemotors
07-22-2012, 03:36 PM
You need to be using the bolt. With the bolt screwed in , it is impossible for the action to rotate.

Blue Avenger
07-22-2012, 07:34 PM
quite forcing it to turn. You could torque it to 400fp and still turn it if you wanted to. It dose not have to be that tight!!!!

cdherman
07-22-2012, 09:55 PM
quite forcing it to turn. You could torque it to 400fp and still turn it if you wanted to. It dose not have to be that tight!!!!

Yep. think I figured that out..... Now to get it to shoot. Initial results promising buy not earth shattering. All groups from the first 30 rounds down the barrel around 1" to 1.5". for a new, unbroke barrel, obviously not bad at all. But we all dream the first time we shoot a new gun that its going to be "the one"......

DougMH
07-31-2012, 09:23 AM
This is good for about any Savage barrel swap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPlFtskCwng