PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11XP Build

mikegodlike88
07-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Just bought a 11XP hunter with the Bushnell scope in .308 short action and was contemplating some upgrades to accurize it. I was wondering if anybody had some suggestions or experience with modifying this rifle. It has the DBM and I heard it is a pain to modify Savage rifles with DBM.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/73/products_id/78116/Savage+11+HUNTER+XP+308+BUSHNELL/

243LPR
07-04-2012, 11:08 AM
How does it shoot now?

rjtfroggy
07-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Find the load it likes first,it may surprise you.

handsomerob
07-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Just bought a 11XP hunter with the Bushnell scope in .308 short action and was contemplating some upgrades to accurize it. I was wondering if anybody had some suggestions or experience with modifying this rifle. It has the DBM and I heard it is a pain to modify Savage rifles with DBM.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/73/products_id/78116/Savage+11+HUNTER+XP+308+BUSHNELL/

Nice choice on the new gun. I have some questions for you that might help you with upgrades and one for myself. What is your screw spacing, 4.4? Is it centerfeed? Is the recoil lug like older savages or did it come with the accustock and wedge? The bolt release, is that on the top/side or bottom? and the one for myself, the safety is it like the other new savages and tear drop shaped or straight like the stevens 200. If it is centerfeed I don't think the dbm should be a problem. I think I talked to SSS and they mentioned in an email that the centerfeed system used the the same parts and you might need to get a part here or there if you had the blind and went to dbm or hinged. If you get a chance how about some pictures? Its hard to find actual pictures of the 11xp hunter and not stock ones from savage. All the ones I see are the Trophy hunter and not just 11 hunter.

mikegodlike88
07-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Nice choice on the new gun. I have some questions for you that might help you with upgrades and one for myself. What is your screw spacing, 4.4? Is it centerfeed? Is the recoil lug like older savages or did it come with the accustock and wedge? The bolt release, is that on the top/side or bottom? and the one for myself, the safety is it like the other new savages and tear drop shaped or straight like the stevens 200. If it is centerfeed I don't think the dbm should be a problem. I think I talked to SSS and they mentioned in an email that the centerfeed system used the the same parts and you might need to get a part here or there if you had the blind and went to dbm or hinged. If you get a chance how about some pictures? Its hard to find actual pictures of the 11xp hunter and not stock ones from savage. All the ones I see are the Trophy hunter and not just 11 hunter.

I am going to attempt to answer your questions, I used a crappy ruler but the action screws were just short of 4.5" so im assuming it is 4.4. I believe this rifle is centerfeed, this rifle did not come with the accu stock. The bolt release is on the top just underneath the rear scope mount. I am going to define the safety as straight but i will give a link to a descent picture of it.

Links:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/mikegodlike88/Savage%2011XP%20Bushnell%20308/DSCN5338.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/mikegodlike88/Savage%2011XP%20Bushnell%20308/DSCN5334.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/mikegodlike88/Savage%2011XP%20Bushnell%20308/DSCN5328.jpg

mikegodlike88
07-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Due to the low cost I initially wanted to buy a Stevens 200 in .308 to modify. I wanted to spend as much money to get a nicer Savage but have the Stevens brand that blew that factory savage out of the water. However, I planned this purchase three years ago and could not get my hands on a Stevens. I have done quite a bit of stuff with my glock and just enjoy tinkering with fire arms.

mikegodlike88
07-06-2012, 03:09 PM
How does it shoot now?

I was in contact with a nice woman from SSS in reference to the bolt fluting. They happened to be doing it in a week so as soon as I got it I put the bolt in the mail in order to get it out to Mr. Fred. So, I have yet to find out but I do plan on grouping a few times as soon as I get my bolt back and before/during/after doing any other modifications to it. I just felt I needed to get my bolt in ASAP if I had the opportunity.

handsomerob
07-06-2012, 03:49 PM
After looking at your pictures and the information you replied, you should be able to use the same aftermarket stuff as the Savage Short action Centerfeed/Stevens 200 would use. So short actions stocks with the 4.4" spacing, small shank recoil lugs, small shank barrels, Timney and Rifle basix triggers, etc. I would say it looks like the only difference between the 11 Hunter XP and the Stevens 200 is the names on the barrel and bolt.

308law
07-06-2012, 04:48 PM
And the detachable mag.

handsomerob
07-06-2012, 05:58 PM
And the detachable mag.

Thanks, I forgot that one.

Let's us know what you do with it mike. Did you get the fishnet fluting on the bolt? Did you fill it with a color?

jpdown
07-06-2012, 06:56 PM
I ordered the exact same rifle last week for pickup at Bud's Gun Shop. But it has not come in yet. I wanted to upgrade my current blued Savage SA staggerfeed 6mmBR to a matte finished centerfeed with side bolt release. I am not a big fan of the newer trigger guard bolt release and wanted to get an inexpensive Savage SA centerfeed with side bolt release before Savage more changes.

Based on your pictures, it looks like it is a Savage SA Centerfeed with a Black Matte tactical finish instead of the smoother Blued finish. It also appears (?) to have the composite trigger guard and DMB/frame assembly used on the Savage LW Hunter. If so, you won't be able to use the standard Savage DBM and aftermarket magazines (ex. Fred Sled Single Shot Magazine) unless you replace it with a metal frame that has the magazine release in the front frame. This should not be a problem, since the stock cutout dimensions are the same. At least they were the same on my Savage LWH. Upgrading to a metal trigger guard and the aftermarket triggers mentioned above should be no problem. I am going to use the use the SSS competition trigger I already have. Any aftermarket Savage stock with centerfeed hole spacing; blind magazine or DBM cutout should work with the parts you already have.

Not sure what level of accuracy you're looking for or what you have in your budget to spend? But as you already said, get some match 165 grain ammo and give it a try out of the box. There is a lot of information on this site about what to do next for improving accuracy potential. I usually start with making sure the barrel and tang are free floated. Then bed the atction and recoil lug. I don't have much faith in entry level package scopes, so I sell them as new take off's for what I can get online. I have waisted a lot of time and ammo trying to get and keep these scopes zeroed. And even the more expensive one's can and will sometimes go bad. But a least they usually have a warranty. Once you start, it becomes addictive and you'll almost certainly belive you need a better scope, rings, bases, stock, barrel and trigger. You've made the right choice to begin building the rifle of your dreams. So enjoy your new gun tinkering project!

mikegodlike88
07-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks, I forgot that one.

Let's us know what you do with it mike. Did you get the fishnet fluting on the bolt? Did you fill it with a color?

Got it with black, still hasn't arrived back yet.

mikegodlike88
07-06-2012, 10:10 PM
After looking at your pictures and the information you replied, you should be able to use the same aftermarket stuff as the Savage Short action Centerfeed/Stevens 200 would use. So short actions stocks with the 4.4" spacing, small shank recoil lugs, small shank barrels, Timney and Rifle basix triggers, etc. I would say it looks like the only difference between the 11 Hunter XP and the Stevens 200 is the names on the barrel and bolt.

Yeah, and the price unfortunately lol. I would have been at $100 less for the Stevens. Thats the price i planned to pay for my new stock. Although I have a cheap hunting scope mounted to tinker with until I manage the funds for the sight tron I want.

mikegodlike88
07-06-2012, 10:14 PM
I ordered the exact same rifle last week for pickup at Bud's Gun Shop. But it has not come in yet. I wanted to upgrade my current blued Savage SA staggerfeed 6mmBR to a matte finished centerfeed with side bolt release. I am not a big fan of the newer trigger guard bolt release and wanted to get an inexpensive Savage SA centerfeed with side bolt release before Savage more changes.

Based on your pictures, it looks like it is a Savage SA Centerfeed with a Black Matte tactical finish instead of the smoother Blued finish. It also appears (?) to have the composite trigger guard and DMB/frame assembly used on the Savage LW Hunter. If so, you won't be able to use the standard Savage DBM and aftermarket magazines (ex. Fred Sled Single Shot Magazine) unless you replace it with a metal frame that has the magazine release in the front frame. This should not be a problem, since the stock cutout dimensions are the same. At least they were the same on my Savage LWH. Upgrading to a metal trigger guard and the aftermarket triggers mentioned above should be no problem. I am going to use the use the SSS competition trigger I already have. Any aftermarket Savage stock with centerfeed hole spacing; blind magazine or DBM cutout should work with the parts you already have.

Not sure what level of accuracy you're looking for or what you have in your budget to spend? But as you already said, get some match 165 grain ammo and give it a try out of the box. There is a lot of information on this site about what to do next for improving accuracy potential. I usually start with making sure the barrel and tang are free floated. Then bed the atction and recoil lug. I don't have much faith in entry level package scopes, so I sell them as new take off's for what I can get online. I have waisted a lot of time and ammo trying to get and keep these scopes zeroed. And even the more expensive one's can and will sometimes go bad. But a least they usually have a warranty. Once you start, it becomes addictive and you'll almost certainly belive you need a better scope, rings, bases, stock, barrel and trigger. You've made the right choice to begin building the rifle of your dreams. So enjoy your new gun tinkering project!

I kind of wanted that 9 round magazine but that price is steap and I have no real reason for having it... besides wanting to lug around a heavier rifle and of course zombies and/or communist invaders. I was hoping to be able to fit the Bell and Carlson Duramax stock but it looks like they do not make it for the centerfeed dbm's.

mikegodlike88
07-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Fred finished my bolt, already have it back! Only took a week, literally. Best of all it looks beautiful.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/mikegodlike88/Savage%2011XP%20Bushnell%20308/DSCN5348.jpg

handsomerob
07-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Looks great! On that Bell and Carlson Duramax stock I think Sharp shooter supply will inlet your stock for the savage dbm. Something to look into. http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/Services.html towards the bottom.

mikegodlike88
07-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Looks great! On that Bell and Carlson Duramax stock I think Sharp shooter supply will inlet your stock for the savage dbm. Something to look into. http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/Services.html towards the bottom.

Thanks for the info, i've been all over their website I just can't see putting $50 + shipping and handling into a $100 stock. At that price I would spend the extra money for the medalist that would fit it. I did however purchase the $100 hogue stock a little while back, it says it will fit no problems. I just recieved it this afternoon it looks pretty sharp.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/mikegodlike88/Savage%2011XP%20Bushnell%20308/DSCN5329.jpg

I plan to take some comparison pictures between the new and old stock, and also group with both stocks to see what that difference might be. I also have a glass bedding kit on the way so I can bed it and see if I get a difference in grouping after that as well. The hogue stock feels pretty good out of the box, a bit heavy though.