PDA

View Full Version : Barrel locknut

Pages : 1 [2]

stangfish
07-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Oooh oooh, one more reply.
It's not like you have done anything permanent. You can have barrels both ways for your action. It is not hard to change, righty tighty lefty loosey type thing.

Jim

Yup

Welcome Jim

Gmac5
07-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Unless of course the mauser happens to be pre 98 then nuts away .seems like we all have a deep passion, obsession with mausers last count was over 856 mauser military ,not counting sporters , but i think i mite buy another at this weekends gunshow.
Gary

Doby45
07-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Nothing like going from a .308 to a 30-06 in less than 5 minutes, or 30-06 to 270, or, or , or

davemuzz
07-05-2012, 05:57 PM
I really don't "get" the nutless benefit (Unless we are talking about my dog.) The way I see it, you still have to screw the barrel down to the receiver, and you would still have to line up some witness marks as it would be easy enough to over\under tighten a barrel. Right now I simply scribe a witness mark on my barrels...and tighten down the nut....and go shoot.

That way I save any gunsmithing fees for re-chambering\re-boring. I'm not really seeing a benefit here.

And with the new smooth nut.....well?????

holstil
07-05-2012, 09:01 PM
No indexing required. It's just a little faster easier without the nut (no head spacing needed). I've shot matches with my switch barrel rig just snapping tight by hand. Taking off requires a barrel vice, they get a little tighter after you shoot. I still like the option with the nut.

Jim