PDA

View Full Version : feed question

jordan
07-02-2012, 03:02 PM
I have a Model 116 in 300 win mag with a factory detachable box magazine.

I am looking to get a new Boyds Thumbhole stock, however they do not sell this stock inletted for DBMs. I called and they said they don't offer it and that they had no info on whether it would be available in the near future.

I understand it is possible to inlet it myself or have a gunsmith do it but my question is:

If I get the components for an internal box type savage in the same caliber and everything and stuck that in the new stock, would my action which came with a DBM still function and feed correctly?

I tried calling savage customer service but keep getting a busy tone.
:frusty:

ellobo
07-02-2012, 07:27 PM
If you already have the components in your existing stock, why look for newer ones? If you order from Savage you will in all likelyhood end up with just 2 sets of the same parts. Just inlet what you have in the Boyds stock.

El Lobo

jordan
07-02-2012, 09:18 PM
I was just trying to avoid cutting into the bottom of my new stock... Thats why I was thinking the internal type magazine ya' know

ellobo
07-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Sorry, misinterpreted what you want to do. The components for an internal magazine are available depending on if your rifle is a centerfeed or staggerfeed. A staggerfeed may require some machinging to take the internal box or a centerfeed magazine may work in the recess of the stock with some shimming to position it properly. That may be the best way to go in the internal box magazine cutout in the Boyds. Inleting for the DBM is not difficult but any good smith should be able to do it for you. I love those Boyd stocks. They offer checkering for an extra $50, maybe they could offer the DBM inletting for a fee like that. Someone should talk it over with them especialy with more models being DBM equiped.

El Lobo

jordan
07-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the input! That's what I love about shooting sports: everyone is always so helpful even with dumb questions.

I'm pretty sure that it is center feed but with the DBM I can't do the whole magazine-attached-to-the-stock-or-action test and since it is long action the screw spacing is the same either way.. This was much easier when I was getting my short action stock...

It would be awesome if they offered such a service! I would gladly pay more for it.. and maybe some pillar bedding so I don't have to do it when it comes in.

ellobo
07-03-2012, 02:57 AM
I assume there are way to many different DBM systems out there for them to offer anything but one that comes with a Savage rifle. But, I think there would be enough people with Savage DBM's that would go for it considering what good stocks they have for little money.

El Lobo