PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of new stock for 12FV

Driften
06-30-2012, 01:46 PM
I just got a new 12FV center feed in .223 and am thinking of getting it a new stock. I plan on only using it from the bench or prone off a bipod or bags. The idea is as I build my long range skills compete in F-Class T/R shooting with it. I expect at some point I will get a custom barrel in 1-8 twist in .223 and/or a custom 308 barrel. I am not sure if I want to go with a laminate stock or composite. My budget for right now is the under $300 so McMillian and Manners are out. That also puts out makers that build match stocks. I am just starting with this so not trying to build the ultimate match rifle. Maybe in a couple of years I will prove its worth spending big money to be competing for a top spot but for now I just want to build skills in long range shooting.

Here are the options I see:
Boyds' VT
Stockys Hart Long Range Target/Tactical LRT
Bell & Carlson Medalist
Choate Tactical
Choate Ultimate Sniper or Varmint

I understand that the Choate stocks really work better for people with large hands so that might bump them out. On thing I like about the laminate stocks are they are easier for me to shave down if needed for a better fit. I am more comfortable with wood working then fiberglass work. The Medalist is nice that it has a full length bedding block and would need less work to bed to the action. The Boyds is just cheep and could be good enough for now, but I like the tactical style with the more vertical pistol grip best. This is a bench gun so weight does not hurt performance as long as the total package is under 18lbs.

Suggestions?

BoilerUP
06-30-2012, 01:59 PM
B&C A2 Medalist; buy from Red Hawk Rifles if looking for new as they have the best prices on the web.

I've since sold both the ones I've had, but the rifles shot very accurately with them.

rattfink
07-01-2012, 01:43 AM
Manners?
/10 char

AKShooter
07-01-2012, 10:39 AM
For strictly a bench gun I like my medalist, but I'm thinking about reworking the forend on mine for better in the field use. Also need a cheek piece for mine with the current optic and mount combo, looking at karstens.

ericd49874
07-02-2012, 10:43 PM
I have the Choate varmint on my 12fv .223. I use it for a lot of target shooting and some whitetail on ocassion but it's definately a prone set-up....VERY HEAVY RIG!! Shoots great, pretty inexpensive, vertical type grip, comes with a couple different size cheek rests, and overall nice feel. I wouldn't say it's anywhere up there in the same class as McMillan, etc, but it gets the job done. I would say it's a good place to start. I don't shoot competition with it so I'll probably be staying with the varminter for awhile.. It has treated me well so far. Good Luck!

Driften
07-03-2012, 12:16 AM
I have the Choate varmint on my 12fv .223. I use it for a lot of target shooting and some whitetail on ocassion but it's definately a prone set-up....VERY HEAVY RIG!! Shoots great, pretty inexpensive, vertical type grip, comes with a couple different size cheek rests, and overall nice feel. I wouldn't say it's anywhere up there in the same class as McMillan, etc, but it gets the job done. I would say it's a good place to start. I don't shoot competition with it so I'll probably be staying with the varminter for awhile.. It has treated me well so far. Good Luck!

How is the size on the pistol grip? Is it just the Choate Tactical that is better for large hands?

Right now I am more thinking Medalist but for a low cost stock the Choate varmint and sniper seem to have done well for people.

Driften
07-03-2012, 12:16 AM
For strictly a bench gun I like my medalist, but I'm thinking about reworking the forend on mine for better in the field use. Also need a cheek piece for mine with the current optic and mount combo, looking at karstens.

Karstens seem like a very nice setup for the medalist....

Driften
07-03-2012, 12:17 AM
B&C A2 Medalist; buy from Red Hawk Rifles if looking for new as they have the best prices on the web.

I've since sold both the ones I've had, but the rifles shot very accurately with them.

Thanks on Red Hawk... they have a slightly lower price and charge less for shipping then many places.