PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) Stevens 200 = questions

Clint KY
06-28-2012, 09:21 AM
I recently purchased a Stevens 200 in 7MM-06. Never having owned a centerfire Savage/Stevens I have a few questions:

Is there a list of Serial Numbers/Dates somewhere so I can figure out how old this gun is? It has a 653#### number.

Is taking the action out of the stock as simple as removing the two screws and lifting it out? Is there anything else I need to watch for?

The recoil pad has two screw holes in it. As most synthetic stocks have the recoil/butt pads glued on I am curious if I can remove the screws (if they are in there) and remove the pad. I tried to find a schematic on Brownell’s but Stevens is not listed.

I am sure that as time goes on I will have other questions. Thanks for your help.

devildogandboy
06-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Welcome to the forum! to get a diagram of the parts and where everything fits, you can type in your serial # on the Savage site. here is link;
https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder/

taking the action out of the stock just requires that you remove the front action screw and the rear action screw(the one just in front of the trigger guard). no need to remove the rear trigger guard screw. when you remove the action don't worry about parts flying all over, never had it happen. for simple parts you can order them from Savage also.
i haven't removed my recoil pad but usually they do come off after removing the 2 screws.
good luck and enjoy the forum.

Clint KY
06-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Welcome to the forum! to get a diagram of the parts and where everything fits, you can type in your serial # on the Savage site. here is link;
https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder/
No joy - The serial number search comes back and says the number is not found in the system. I'm guessing it only works for Savages not Stevens.

82boy
06-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Welcome to the site,
I would not wory about the serial number as Stevens 200 rifles was only made for a short time. Starting around 2004 with a late change over to centerfeed magazine system in about 2007 and this year is rumered to be the last year of production.

Yes, removing the actions srews is all that is needed to remove the action. Removing the rear trigger guard screw is not needed, as all it does is hold the trigger guard to the stock. If you have a stagared feed action, when you remove the action from the stock you will have a magazine spring/follower fallout of the action as it is held in place by the stock. A centerfeed action the magazine will stay comnected to the stock.

Yes the two small crew holes in the rear of the recoil pad can be removed and the recoil pad will come off, but there is no need to do so.

Many question can be asnwered by using the search feature, and the FAQs section,
enjoy.

devildogandboy
06-28-2012, 03:03 PM
No joy - The serial number search comes back and says the number is not found in the system. I'm guessing it only works for Savages not Stevens.

Clint, it does work for Savages as i have used it many times. just tried again and it works. are you punching in full serial #, does your # have an letter preceding the #? punch it all in.

Clint KY
06-28-2012, 04:03 PM
DD - There is no letter preceding the number - Just 6539280 - when I input it I get:
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
To begin, enter your firearm's serial number:

PLEASE NOTE:
We will be closed for our summer shut-down from June 29th to July 18th. Any orders placed from June 29th to July 18th will be processed and shipped the week of July 18th.

Our apologies...
Serial number entered cannot be found in the system.

Please note: We do not service models manufactured prior to serial number F498821.
Please refer to the warranty and repair page for possible resources for repair and parts for these firearms.

Savage Arms Contact Information
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Clint KY
06-28-2012, 04:33 PM
I took a good look at the serial number again and the first character is a G not a 6 - Part number finder works when I put the correct information in it.
Thanks

devildogandboy
06-28-2012, 05:32 PM
I took a good look at the serial number again and the first character is a G not a 6 - Part number finder works when I put the correct information in it.
Thanks

yep, did that too, really had hard time to distinguish the g from 6. if you need any other info or parts, Numrich Guns is another good source. link:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/