PDA

View Full Version : Things a man should be able to do

Pages : [1] 2

LabRat2k3
06-28-2012, 01:31 AM
My son will turn three in a couple of month, and while he is still too young to learn these things it seems he is growing so fast I better get ready. So, I was thinking about things I would like to teach him as he grows up, and thought I would ask for some input from you guys. It sure don't seem like many boys are being taught to be a man any more. Here is a list that I came up with so far. These are just physical skills and not concepts like honor, respect, integrity... that is a whole other list all together.

Firearms safety and how to shoot a rifle, pistol, and shotgun with iron sights and scopes.
How to build a fire and different ways to start a fire
Map reading and nav with a compass
How to tie a few knots, I'm no sailor or boy scout but do know a few that come in handy
How to swim
How to clean, butcher, and prepare wild game
Basic home and auto maintenance
How to sharpen a knife
How to grow a garden
How to reload
How to cook for himself

My dad never did spend much time teaching me a whole lot, so most stuff I know I learned by trial and a whole lot of error. I'm just hopeing to give my boy a little better start than I had. So what are some things you taught you son, were taught growing up, or wish you had been taught?

thomae
06-28-2012, 01:39 AM
A competent adult should be able to:
Ride a horse,
Drive a stickshift car
Ride a motorcycle
Utilize basic first aid
Have basic wilderness survival skills (Boy scout level, not Bear Gryllis level)

rjtfroggy
06-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Don't forget how to fish and throw in some archery.
Those along with hunting and shooting skills and he will never go hungry.
But most importantly IMHO teach him to believe in himself.

dcompton
06-28-2012, 09:37 AM
You guys are gonna laugh....he should be able to do his laundry and iron!

Balljoint
06-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Have him join The BOY SCOUTS as he will learn half of what you want him to know if the scout leader knows his stuff

thomae
06-28-2012, 10:01 AM
+1 to Balljoint. It will also help him get some of the moral compass that will serve him well in the future.

LabRat2k3
06-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Those are some good ones. I had thought about a few of them but never wrote them down so I forgot them when I was putting this list together. dcompton, I think those are excellent skills also. I want him to be able to take care of himself, that way, hopefully, when he picks a woman it won't be because he needs someone to take care of him. I think the only one I will have trouble teaching would be anything about a horse. I have ridden a horse a time or two but know next to nothing about them really. It's funny some of these are such a part of our everyday life I didn't even think about them. We live 50 yards from New River so we are always fishing, and I try to shoot my bow at least twice a week all year long, still I didn't think about putting them on the list. I hope I can get him interested in the Boy Scouts, they have a lot of good resources, but it is still my responsibility to equip him to be able to take care of himself, and hopefully his family someday.

Celtic Warrior
06-28-2012, 10:34 AM
+1 on everyhing above.

Back in the 60's, my senior year in highschool I took Home Economics from a retired WWII WAC and she taughtus two of the best things I used the rest of my life.

Basic sewing, i.e. darn socks, sew stripes on my uniform, sew buttons on, stitch tears, etc.

Put a plan together for everything. Without a plan your reacting and you have nothing to deviate from.

LabRat2k3
06-28-2012, 10:37 AM
A couple more I had thought of but forgot to include,
how to balance a checkbook/ bank account/budget
How to use credit wisely. I wish someone other than a credit card company would have taught me this.

skypilot
06-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Never sneeze when you're hiding
Never smile when you're lieing
Never squat with your spurs on.....Just kidding. Teach him about family and your family and how to build things and how to rebuild things.

My wife has a saying(I think it's fom the Red Green comedy show) "Handsome AND Handy", not sure whom she is speaking of.....

Edit: Teach him to tell time....It is 11:52 AM where I am, not 3:52PM as my post says, unless I'm in Dakar and don't know it.

Stockrex
06-28-2012, 01:53 PM
He should know how to:
Spell
Value hardwork
Speak the truth
Do the right thing
Treat others as you would to be treated

Nor Cal Mikie
06-28-2012, 03:50 PM
He's only 3 and you're thinking of how he should be as a Man? Nothing like being in a hurry. Start off by letting him be a Kid!
Yes Please and no Thank You works at an early age. And when he gets big enough, teach him how to open the door for a Lady/Girl.
Respect for elders, even if they're a$$ holes!
The rest will come in time if you set an example, good or bad, he'll learn so watch what you do. They learn "real fast".
And above all,(at any age) be a Man of his word! If he says he's gunna do something, (promise) be sure he does it. NO BODY likes someone that can't be trusted. Integrety and common decency should be #1. And a hand shake is his word. Not too many folks like that around anymore. And his Mother is still a lady and should be treated like one.
This will all come in time but it doesn't hurt to keep after him while he's young. He should turn out to be someone everybody likes to be around, not just another smart a$$ed kid. Too many of them around that were never taught manners and respect for others.

LabRat2k3
06-28-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm in no hurry but it sure seems like he is. I can't believe how quickly these first three years have passed. I'm just trying to get myself ready more than anything; you know the old saying failing to plan is a plan to fail. I don't think that teaching how to do these thing will interfere with letting him be a kid, going fishing, shooting a BB gun, getting to start the fire for the first time when we go camping, learning what type of trees we see while walking in the woods, riding a horse, and a motorcycle all seem like fun kid things to me. It should all be done in a fun way; there will be no sign on the fridge that states, "NO DESSERT UNTIL YOU CAN START A FIRE FIVE DIFFERENT WAYS WITHOUT A LIGHTER OR MATCHES". Some of them will be taught when he gets older like driving a stick shift, and how to handle your money, but I think it will be easier to teach him how to be a man along the way rather than waiting until he is a man to teach him. It may seem silly to some people, but i really don't care what people think of me, I only care about being a good dad to my son.

bucky
06-29-2012, 04:08 AM
Teach him to accept criticism when it's due and how to learn from his mistakes.
Teach him to read well and speak proper English so that he will not appear uneducated.
Get him a dog so that he will learn the value of companionship and how to care for a dependent.

rjtfroggy
06-29-2012, 06:51 AM
LabRat learn about horses together in a couple of years, then maybe a horse back hunt is in the future.
A dog was a great suggestion, I don't ever remember not having one and I'm 60.

BobT
06-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Wow, some good suggestions here!
The thing that most annoys me about the young people I see today is a complete lack consideration for others, what I like to call the "me generation".

Teach him to respect other peoples feelings and property and not to be materialistic.

Teach him about the flag and those who have died for it.

Don't let him sit in front of the television for hours on end sucking down soda and eating potato chips and ice cream.

Teach him that 3 strikes is an out and 3 outs is the end of an inning, he sure won't get that in little league any more.

Teach him that there are winners and losers and there have to be some of both.

Teach him to celebrate excellence and not mediocrity.

Teach him that doing the right thing isn't always easy but it is always right.

Teach him not to rely too much on others but to be someone who can be relied on.

Teach him that actions have consequences.

I think it says a lot that you are already thinking of his future and I have a feeling that you already know what to teach him. Include him in the things you do and show him how much you love him.

You are well no your way, enjoy it!

Bob

JW
06-30-2012, 09:00 AM
LabRat,
plus one on what NorCal Mike said about teaching by example. It is amazing how fast the kids pick up on what mom and dad do.
I have learned that you don't have to teach a baby/youngster how to be bad, mean, disrespectful, etc -- that is already in our nature as human beings
But you do have to teach them how to be "good" and the best way is by example
Your boy will pick up a lot of this from you as you include him in your life
I did not have any sons ( 2 girls) but now I have a grandson!!
Spend as much time with him as you can--as you have said--they grow up fast
It sounds like you already know this and it reflects what kind of a father you are to your son --thank you
Jack

stangfish
06-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Teach him to accept criticism when it's due and how to learn from his mistakes.
Teach him to read well and speak proper English so that he will not appear uneducated.
Get him a dog so that he will learn the value of companionship and how to care for a dependent.

I agree with everything all the posters have written. Bucky's stuff is good stuff. The dog part is huge. The relationship that a boy and a dog can have is invaluable.

psharon97
06-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Like other have said in here get in involved in cub scouts. Make sure you're there to share with the adventure too!

SMK Shoe
06-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Boy Scouts is a good one. My father was real handy in most things but outdoors and camping were not his strong point. But he was smart enough to get me involved with people that were. Made eagle scout just before graduating high school and just retired from active army with 26 years. Just thinking about this puts you in front of 90% of the people out there. And nothing wrong with telling your son " i don't know much about _______, but WE can figure it out" Good luck