PDA

View Full Version : Things a man should be able to do

Pages : 1 [2]

Leonardo63
06-30-2012, 11:28 PM
I don't really remember how it happened, but I grew up with guns, hunting and fishing. I had my own .22 at 6, kept it in my room and everything. By 7 I had a single barrel 28ga shotgun, and got my 30-30 Winchester before I turned 9. It was just normal to me. I could clean my own rabbits and squirrels from the time I started hunting, first grade.
Things I didn't learn- when you plug up the sink, and put draino in it, and it still doesn't go down, don't try to siphon it out to the toilet.....don't worry, lips grow back, trust me.
Don't let all the air out of your moms car tires cause you think you need to put "Fresh Spring" air back in them with your bicycle pump.
Teach him to be kind to all animals and pets, and that you WILL eat what you kill.....Also, teach him to be able to hunt with a single barrel shotgun, one shot make it count kinda thing.

Leonardo63
06-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Also, be nice to the average nerdy girls- a lot of them will bloom and blossom, and they will remember who was nice to them when they reach their break out wild times down the road.....very important :)

rattfink
07-01-2012, 01:38 AM
I have always maintained a man needs to know how to cook and sew.

Leonardo63
07-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Learn to cook, big one. I took a girl out on a date once and told her I was going to make her dinner myself- While I made spagetti like Gordon Ramsey and pampered her she could hardly contain herself. This is the stuff that really drives em wild- carve that in stone. Last thing a gal wants to do is be a mother to her man---that's what mothers are for. She will show the things that mothers can't do with vigor :^)

LabRat2k3
07-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks for all the good advice and encouragement guys. Too bad he isn't old enough to learn more because we have been "camping" since Friday night when the storms took the power out, and I could have taught him a lot of cool things. I'm at the local state park now to shower before work and thought I would use their WIFI to see what was going on in the rest of the world. What did we ever do before Al Gore blessed us with the internet? :D

Ridge Runner
11-29-2013, 11:49 PM
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.” Robert Heinlein

stangfish
11-30-2013, 12:30 AM
Recognize a trashy woman, and how she can and will trap you and/or destroy your life.

EFBell
11-30-2013, 11:19 AM
How to treat his mother first and foremost and women in general. The rest is easy after that.

243LPR
11-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Get him involved with a good church youth group,he'll make friends there that last a lifetime and learn about his creator . Teach good stewardship in everything,especially finances.

sharpshooter
11-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Over the years in this business I've met a fair share of adults that lack simple skills that should have been learned when they were children. Besides all of the above suggestions: how to read a tape measure, knowing your directions(north,east south and west) and tell time on an analog clock, knowing the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise. One of my best friends has been an avid health nut and body builder for over 15 years, and one day out on the lake he tells me he can't swim...go figure.

JMGlasgow
12-14-2013, 09:08 PM
How to put snow chains on a vehicle.

bflee
12-14-2013, 11:19 PM
I did service work for many years on air conditioning and I was really amazed at how ignorant some grown men are to anything mechanical. A lot of them only know how to operate a lazy boy and a remote.
I grew up on the farm and my dad was an electrician and I really took for granted that everyone was as inquisitive as I was. I was wrong. I Have made a good living off them though. I have bought 31 acres and a built a nice two story house.

gunrack
12-23-2013, 11:35 PM
Many good things that he should learn posted already.

I have two....

Don't pee into the wind
Don't whittle towards yourself.

On a serious note.

Love God
Love your neighbor
Live what is in your heart for he wrote it there!

foxx
12-24-2013, 04:11 PM
All good. Sorry I did not find this sooner.

How 'bout teaching him that YOU love and honor and respect HIS mother.

Somehow I believe you're doing that, but sometimes I forget to always show that to my daughter myself.

My daughter was 5 when she said to me, "Daddy, you know what I am afraid of...?

I am afraid you do not love Mommy any more."

That was 11 years ago now, and I remember it like it was yesterday. Biggest wake-up call of my life. I was a good man and thought I was a good father. The fact was I did love my wife, her mother, but I failed to show it, even in her little eyes. I worked harder from that moment forward to be better at both. Life has been a lot better around here ever since.

rattfink
12-24-2013, 05:44 PM
All good. Sorry I did not find this sooner.

How 'bout teaching him that YOU love and honor and respect HIS mother.

Somehow I believe you're doing that, but sometimes I forget to always show that to my daughter myself.

My daughter was 5 when she said to me, "Daddy, you know what I am afraid of...?

I am afraid you do not love Mommy any more."

That was 11 years ago now, and I remember it like it was yesterday. Biggest wake-up call of my life. I was a good man and thought I was a good father. The fact was I did love my wife, her mother, but I failed to show it, even in her little eyes. I worked harder from that moment forward to be better at both. Life has been a lot better around here ever since.

I read somewhere that the best thing a man can do for his son is love his mother. Nothing I have learned since has discredited that sentiment.