PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Recoil Lug

SDJim
12-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Well, I finally have all the parts for my project, now comes the assembly.

I ordered a machined recoil lug and after assembling the barrel, receiver, lug and barrel nut, I was doing a fit test so I can bed the barreled receiver metal into an HS Precision stock. I decided to do a skim bed because there is only about 75-80% contact between the receiver and the forward bedding block surface.

When I positioned the receiver in the stock, the bottom of the recoil lug is resting on the stock as opposed to the receiver resting on the stock.

I did some measuring and it looks like I would have to remove .2" from the bottom of the lug to get the receiver on the stock and give me .02" clearance between the lug and stock. I would have measured the stock recoil lug (which worked before) but I seem to have misplaced it. If someone has a stock lug and could tell me what the measurement from the bottom of the lug and the bottom inside of the ring is I'd appreciate it.

So anyway, I guess the question is, "Would there be any problem removing .2" from the bottom of the recoil lug?" I'd prefer not to have to auger material out of the aluminum of the stock.

Thanks, SDJim

ellobo
12-09-2009, 02:03 AM
.20 should not be a problem.

El Lobo

Smokepole
12-09-2009, 09:01 AM
The SSS lug is about .05-.075 taller than the stocker. I trim them w a vertical belt sander.