PDA

View Full Version : Barnes Brass?

fgw_in_fla
06-24-2012, 07:55 AM
One of the range officers at my local shooting place collects & saves brass for me. Whenever I go there, he's usually got a large "bag 'o brass" for me & I pick out what want or need. Since he gets to see first hand what folks are using, he collects all the once fired stuff I use. In return, I've given him some books on reloading, old dies, parts & pieces of stuff I have no use for & he does, since he's a "reloader in training".
Which brings me to my point of curiosity.....

I have 50 pieces of .270 win. brass marked Barnes - .270win....

Anybody got anything on this? Is it Reminton with Barnes stamp? It feels & acts like Remington brass but, I can't be certain.

Since it's once fired, nice & clean, from a good company, I thought I'd load 'em up and have a go at it. Unless, of course, someone here red flags it about something they know that I don't.

Besides.... It's a good day to clean up, straighten out & work on my reloading room. We got us a genuine, bona fide tropical storm destined to be a hurricane wandering around the Gulf of Mexico. It's a miserable rainy day here & I guess I won't be making holes in paper at a few hundred yards today..

SO..... Whatcha think on the Barnes brass?

Frank "Building an Ark" in Fla.

keeki
06-24-2012, 08:42 AM
I think a company called Freedom Group Inc. owns Barnes and Remington. My guess would be it is Remmy brass

fgw_in_fla
06-24-2012, 08:49 AM
'Morning Keeki -

I just ran a few pieces thru the FS die. It feels softer than Rem brass. It also feels thicker / heavier... If that makes any sense to you. kinda like there's more mass to it.

We'll see how it works. Worst that can happen is my .270 hates it. the same way it hates Win brass. It's just not happy with it.

I'll keep y'all posted, providing the rain doesn't wash us away.... :o

Frank in Fla..... for now.

keeki
06-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Guess you could always put them on a scale and see how they weigh out