PDA

View Full Version : 7MM SAUM range results

chesty for president
06-22-2012, 12:15 AM
First off the rifle in question is built on a Target Action with a Criterion Bull on it 1-9 twist. Sightron III 10x50x60 in a B&C Medalist stock, very simple setup. All shots were made from cheapo Wal-Mart sand bags. I used a Beta Master Chrono with printouts to not miss anything chrono was set at about 12 feet and every single shot recorded with no errors. I tested only a few loads that I copied off of accurate shooter since they were using the same length, brand and twist rate barrel as I am.

I will say this.....Thanks for the sound advice Dean.....use what works.....Thank you brother

First load
Powder RL25 60.0 grains
Primer CCI BR2
OAL@ogive 3.285
FPS 3218-3212-3211-3216-3211-3204
Bullet 154 InterBond (they were free) thought id try them

Second load
Powder 4831 59.5 grains
Primer CCI BR2
OAL@ogive 3.271
FPS 3002-2981-3048-2992-3001-3010-3009-2956?
Bullet 162 Amax
This load was very accurate "to me" easily .2 MOA a single ragged hole at 100 yards

Third load
Powder RL25 60.0 grains
Primer CCI BR2
OAL@ogive 3.285
FPS 3218-3211-3217-3218-3212-3204?
Bullet 180 grain SMK
Load was also very accurate, NONE of the loads listed showed absolutely no flattened primers or remotely heavy bolt lift also noted recoil to be like my 308....very mild.

I think there is more left in the velocity I just dont want to push it and I want this barrel to last a long while because Im broke as hell from buying brass for this darn thing. Im gonna back off the powder a little bit and see if accuracy suffers. If anyone has anything to add or advice please let me know Im all ears. The numbers seem high to me maybe someone with more knowledge on this can educate me....

Very Respectfully Submitted

Semper Fidelis

gotcha
06-22-2012, 12:55 AM
whoa ! .2 moa :o Why change anything. Make a 2nd range trip & see if you can duplicate. Evidently your USMC training has paid off. Nice shootin' Chesty 8) That .2 moa makes the brass look cheap now! Keep on keepin' on

rusty815
06-22-2012, 03:05 AM
You're seating them out very far, is it a long action? How long is the barrel? depending on your setup, those numbers sound just about right. I was planning a build on a short action in a 24" barrel, was wondering about the numbers I would get myself.

scope eye
06-22-2012, 05:59 AM
Your getting close to 200 fps more with that 30 inch barrel 180s @ 3200fps plus wow and .2 to boot good job,
and now I have to scold you, are touching the lands I know you are, "stopit stopit stopit" who do think you are a TSA agent that can touch anything ;D no seriously things will be much more better in many ways give the bullet some breathing room before sending it on it's journey ;)

Tanks Spanky

chesty for president
06-22-2012, 12:06 PM
I loaded same load that yielded best results yesterday and backed off ten thou ....you are correct Scope Eye I had those suckers BURIED into the lands brother. Im gonna stretch them out to 500 today thats as long as the range is so ill see what heppened. The .2 MOA yesterday had me surprised as hell to and that was during barrel break in. It made one ragged hole almost no matter what I put in it its like this thing will shoot anything but Im guessing once I start getting into longer ranges the imperfections will start showing up....Im gonna keep the speeds up for now especially if accuracy stays constant I just dont want to ruin the barrel...Off to the range Again with some rounds shortened a little at least now you cant see the little red tips hanging out of the muzzle lol....

Semper Fi

fgw_in_fla
06-22-2012, 02:30 PM
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Are you gonna sit there & tell us that's the best you can do? :P

Nicely done. Most impressive I'd say... So, what's the next step?

Where do you take it from here? Surely you're not going to let the addiction end here are you?

Most of us know better... You'll be back next week with a .184 to .163 MOA report. It won't stop here...

chesty for president
06-23-2012, 12:01 AM
I only got to shoot two loads today that were the same as above i just backed them off .010 to see what would happen. All shots were at 300 yards and best I could do was 1.8 inches I yanked a few of them and there were AR's all over the place....Im gonna figure out a way to record these with a camera down range I think thatll be kinda fun to do.....shouldnt be to difficult to come up with....but try to keep cost low also...Im going back out in the morning with more time.....I only shot two groups I got caught up in building a stock and lost track of time.

Very REspectfully Submitted

Semper Fi

mattri
06-23-2012, 01:04 AM
Excellent post!

Glad to see the saum is working for you, can't wait to see how the load dials in and how far out you take it. This round will probably be my next build, will be watching this progress closely.

scope eye
06-23-2012, 07:44 AM
I believe you when you say those are the groupings that you got with this gun, but I am inclined to ask if YOU were actually behind the trigger when this per say grouping occurred ;D

Tanks Spanky

trailrider121
06-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Chesty,

Glad the 7 saum is working for you, I can't wait to build mine in October. I have a 24" barrel vs 30", plus I'll be using 168's. I plan to try H4350, H4831,and H1000 powder with my combo. Keep updating us with your reports.

psharon97
06-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Chesty,

Glad the 7 saum is working for you, I can't wait to build mine in October. I have a 24" barrel vs 30", plus I'll be using 168's. I plan to try H4350, H4831,and H1000 powder with my combo. Keep updating us with your reports.

Not to hijack the thread but I've found a good load for the 168's: 63.1g Reloader 19 Hornady brass CCI large rifle primers. Works well in my 7mm remington magnum I just built.

chesty for president
06-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Cmon Scope Eye dont you have faith in me lol...shoot man Ive thought about seeing if one of the range regulars would give it a wack to improve groupings....Ill def have some trigger time tomorrow as it was raining like an SOB today...Kinda funny story the other day at the range there were 5 turkeys running back and forth on the 300 yard line and at one point there was a turkey sitting directly on my target stand and Im shooting no more than 2 feet over his head for 15 minutes....even the range owner was laughing and shaking his head but said DO NOT SHOOT THAT TURKEY.....I thought that was funny...

Semper Fidelis

scope eye
06-24-2012, 05:29 AM
I do that all the time have someone try a grouping with one of my rigs, and more often then not I get my a$$ handed back to me, "pride is overrated" but at least I know there's more, I can't imagine how loud those bullets must have been whistling over those turkey's heads, they are smart creatures but are also dense.

Tanks Dean