PDA

View Full Version : New style bolt release and aftermarket stocks, compatable?

handsomerob
06-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Are the new Savage's with the bolt release on the bottom/Accu-stock models compatible with aftermarket stocks? I noticed that Choate Machine and Tool states that theirs aren't. I figure that's because they have the trigger guard molded with the stock. Although, Boyd's and Stocky's don't mention the bottom bolt release being a problem. Are there any other differences between the Accu-stock models and the older style? Are the recoil lugs the same?

Thanks
Rob

pdog06
06-20-2012, 11:25 PM
the accu-stocks recoil lug is much shorter and do not have the alignment pin.

There will most likely be some minor material relieving needed on the new stock to make the bolt release work correctly.

ellobo
06-21-2012, 01:32 AM
For aftermarket people making stocks, any change to a Savage can cause them real expensive problems to match. If the aftermarket stocks are molded or laid up in a mold it will require a new mold in most cases as they have to keep the old molds to accomodate the thousands of older designs out there. New molds are very expensive to make or modify extensivly. That is one reason why it usualy takes a yr or more for them to catch up with Savage. Laminate or wood stocks just need a change in tooling to accomodate changes from Savage. I would call Boyds and ask about the bottom release. They are good guys to talk to and very informative.

El Lobo

stomp442
06-21-2012, 10:17 AM
I recently picked up a wood stock from Numrich that fit one of the newer models. The only changes I had to make was a slight relieving around the back of the action so the old style bolt release would clear. The trigger guard required a shim to make it fit flush in the stock and what I did for that was epoxy a small sink washer to the trigger guard to push it out flush with the bottom of the stock. Works like a charm all the original action screws fit and worked flawlessly. Whole thing took about 15 minutes.