PDA

View Full Version : Am I asking too much from my rifle?

Pages : 1 [2]

gotcha
06-24-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm puzzled w/ the seating depth variation you're getting. Is it possible the pointy nose of your boolit is making contact (bottoming out) in the seating stem preventing the stem from contacting the ogive consistently? If this is happening you'll probably have some wild variations in run-out also. Something just ain't right if you're getting .016" variation in seating depth w/ the Forster. Just my .02 cents, Dale

stangfish
06-24-2012, 11:23 PM
I've only used CCI mag primers so far but will possibly try regular CCI's.

The one you are using or the CCI BR primer is the one.

Tnslim
06-25-2012, 04:25 AM
The new Forster dies had to be returned due to leaving bad scratch marks on the necks and the seater die left a ring around the bullet nose which they repaired by honing. I've had problems with them since new. I'm pretty sure the bullet isn't bottoming out as I've checked and seen no signs of touching. I don't own a run out gauge but I always hand roll the loaded round across my bench to check runout but it could still be a few thousandths out and I doubt I could tell. I plan on swapping to another scope before hitting the range plus will sonic clean, anneal, full size and trim the brass and also give the bore a good scrubbing. I'll start with 105 Hornadys and Varget and the bullet seated around .020 off and hope for that one ragged hole everytime. It's definitely trying my patience but I won't give up on it.

CharlieNC
06-28-2012, 12:52 PM
I have a similar rifle build as yours (CBI on a Stevens); it likes the Berger Target 105 over Varget and is not very sensitive to makeup of the load. Doesn't like the Amax or
Speer nearly as well so now I'm sticking to the Bergers. How are you measuring seating depth (LOA or with comparator)?

Tnslim
06-28-2012, 12:54 PM
I use the Hornady comparator.

Stonewall
06-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Wind Flags ....

Glenn