PDA

View Full Version : Struck by lightening twice or..

Pages : [1] 2

Midcountry2
06-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Can someone please help.
I purchased an Varmint action at the end of March and had problem installing my new Criterion barrel as well as a Savage (varmint 308) barrel due to the tight threading of both my barrels.
I called Savage and they had me send the action back to them in the beginning of April and after inspection they found the thread were out of spec by .008" . They then sent me another action this week.
I clean the threads on both action and barrel,copper grease the barrel and action threads and tried to install the barrel in and it went in only .41" but can't go in any farther.
I just talked to customer support and they said that the new action is .006" out but it is within spec. but they had never try installing a barrel into the action.

So have I been struck by lightening twice or Am i doing something wrong?
BTW the barrel nut threads in through on both barrel smoothly.

nsaqam
06-20-2012, 01:55 PM
.006" undersized may be within Savages specs but it certainly isn't within industry specs.

That's just lousy machining and QC on Savages part IMO.

ellobo
06-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Take the action and barrels to a gunsmith and have him chase out the threads on the action OR the barrels until the barrels fit. I suggest the action.

El Lobo

airaddict
06-20-2012, 02:02 PM
You think taking emory cloth to the barrel threads would help or maybe the action threads?

Brian

nsaqam
06-20-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm not sure how Savage threads their actions but if they use helical interpolation on a CNC that amount undersized is unforgivable.

Heck, it's unforgivable if they do it on a manual lathe.

I would love to take a look at the GO/NO GO thread gauges they use at Savage.

thirty06
06-20-2012, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't do anything to it. I'd send it back till they got it right.

nsaqam
06-20-2012, 02:25 PM
I wouldn't do anything to it. I'd send it back till they got it right.

Yep!

Stockrex
06-20-2012, 03:33 PM
They sent u a new action that is out of spec!!!
Mass produced item should still be within spec. Ask them to correct the problem.

brtelec
06-20-2012, 06:04 PM
I would send it back and let them make it right that is unacceptable

Midcountry2
06-20-2012, 06:27 PM
They asked me to have a smith look at the action locally and I asked if they are going to pay for the smith. They told me to send it back. It is going back tomorrow.

nsaqam
06-20-2012, 08:29 PM
What a chickenfeed response by Savage to have you bring it to a 'smith.

No female thread has a -.006" tolerance.

nwkman
06-23-2012, 02:33 PM
I would lightly dress the threads on the barrel with a fine file. Been there done that.

thirty06
06-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Why would you have to dress the threads on a factory barrel ?

fgw_in_fla
06-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Geezz... I'm getting worried about buying anything new or ANYTHING at all from Savage. I'm reading too many horror stories here & hearing too many at the range.

They better get it together or we'll be called Tika Shooters or Rem Shooters pretty soon.

I'm looking at a brand new 111 in 338 Lapua Mag. Now I'm worried if I can't take it apart first & mic it......

I say ship it back & squalk about it. Remember.... The squeeking wheel gets the grease. You paid good money for it didn't you? I mean.... the money you spent didn't have obama's picture on it or anything, did it?

Send it back & chew somebody's butt a little.

Good luck with it. I hope it works out for ya.

Frank in Fla

nwkman
06-23-2012, 08:50 PM
OP said CBI barrel. I had the same problem with a prefit from another supplier. You can use emery tape also. Try it.

ellobo
06-23-2012, 08:50 PM
006" undersized may be within Savages specs but it certainly isn't within industry specs.
That's just lousy machining and QC on Savages part IMO

Absolutely correct. I only suggested taking it to a gunsmith to save yourself the hassle with Savage and get it back in a reasonable amount of time. By all means, send it back and forcefully tell them that niether one of thier barrels nor a custom barrel from Criterion will enter the action by more than about 3/8 of an inch. Totaly unacceptable. By the way, who did you get the action from?

El Lobo

thirty06
06-23-2012, 09:29 PM
The OP said a CBI & factory barrel wouldn't fit.
Send it back.

aimatit
06-24-2012, 07:10 AM
FGW-in-Fla, I agree with you. The American currency that was tendered Savage Arms was all there no hooks crooks , bends , missing pieces, performs at face value etc. and, it is hard earned. Send the product back and get what was paid for. Be polite about it , if it is legit, they will take care of the problem. When you get the problem all ironed out , you will have a Savage to be proud of. Just look at what
team Savage has accomplished with Off the shelf rifles. :)

stangfish
06-24-2012, 09:13 AM
I'm not sure how Savage threads their actions but if they use helical interpolation on a CNC that amount undersized is unforgivable.

Heck, it's unforgivable if they do it on a manual lathe.

I would love to take a look at the GO/NO GO thread gauges they use at Savage.

Yep!

Midcountry2
07-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Got the action back yesterday from Savage customer service . They installed a barrel to the action and found nothing wrong with the action (that's what they told me).
Installed my CBI barrel today and had a couple of little snatches but it screw in with ease and completed the build.