PDA

View Full Version : Stevens Favorite: stevens favorite for kids?

jlcpls
12-08-2009, 02:03 PM
I've been looking at all sorts of guns for my 8 yeard old, and had originally started with the GL or GLY (MarkII).

Then started thinking of getting a 22 lever, because I love levers so much. But it's not for me, necessarily. ;)

But then I noticed the newer offerings for the Stevens 30G (http://savagearms.com/30g.htm) and thought it would be nice for a wee lass, if I did some mojo on the stock.

Anyone got one of the newer offerings out there?

Is the accuracy repeatable?

Are they finicky about support and hold?

Are they finicky about ammo?

Christmas is close, and pending the clutch job on my truck ::), and the video adapter crashing on my laptop :P , I may get rid of my Henry22mag in order to get the girl a gun she can hold onto for life.

She uses my 10/22 right now, but it's just not built for her (especially since she's a lefty)

JCalhoun
12-08-2009, 10:55 PM
http://savageshooters.com/index.php?articleview=Stevens Favorite Take-Down

slumlord44
12-10-2009, 01:49 AM
They are neat little guns. Fun to shoot and I like a hammer gun as a starter. You always know when it is ready to fire. Accuracy is fine for a plinker. It is not a target gun though. Triger pull is heavy but the more you shoot it the better it gets. It would benifit from some work on the triger. I had mine drilled and tapped for a reproduction of the Stevens tang sight from Cape Outfiters and installed one of their globe front sights. The tang is easier to hit with than open sights. I ams prejudiced thugh, because I collect the old Stevens Single Shots of all varities.

JCalhoun
12-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Do you have a link for the tang sight? I had considered using the Marbles but I'm not really sure about it's quality.

slumlord44
12-25-2009, 01:51 AM
Sorry, no link. Just google it.

Blue Avenger
12-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Think about how you have to put it on "safe". Can she release the hammer?

while we all like to think of single shots as the ultimate gun for kids, It is not always the case. some with hammers have no safety block and the old single shots where you had to pull the bolt knob out are the worst. current Chipmunks are still that way.

slumlord44
02-01-2010, 01:35 AM
No safety as such. There is a hammer block to keep it from firing if droped.