PDA

View Full Version : SAVAGE BARREL NUT TIGHTENING

joeb33050
06-20-2012, 09:38 AM
SAVAGE BARREL NUT TIGHTENING

Opinions vary concerning how tight the barrel nut should be after a barrel change. Some suggest using a torque wrench.
Use of the torque wrench is problematical.
The rotational position of the barrel nut indicates how tight the nut is. Tighter nuts are rotated more than looser nuts.
For any given barrel/action/recoil lug/action set, the position of a barrel nut fiducial marker with respect to recoil lug graduations is a precise and repeatable measurement of barrel nut tightness.
The barrel nut fiducial marker is easily made with a punch or scribe.
Graduations on a recoil lug of +/- ten sixteenths of an inch, with markers at 5 and 10, would do the trick./
And, we sould put those torque wrenches away.
joe b.

DanSavage
06-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Good idea . I would like to see a slashmark made on recoil lug and a special barrel nut with graduating marks all the way around, maybe laser etched. I think it would make it easier to experiment with barrel torque and group size.

airaddict
06-20-2012, 12:19 PM
A few good raps with my ball peen hammer on the barrel nut wrench is all i have used and its worked for me. Ive seen a lot of guys do that but there are those who like to know how much torque they are applying.

Brian

BobT
06-20-2012, 12:47 PM
I have always tightened hand tight and have never had a problem.

Bob

bythebook
06-20-2012, 05:36 PM
I just tighten hand tight and then a bump or two with my hand on the wrench.

Blue Avenger
06-20-2012, 05:48 PM
SAVAGE BARREL NUT TIGHTENING

Opinions vary concerning how tight the barrel nut should be after a barrel change. Some suggest using a torque wrench.
Use of the torque wrench is problematical.
The rotational position of the barrel nut indicates how tight the nut is. Tighter nuts are rotated more than looser nuts.
For any given barrel/action/recoil lug/action set, the position of a barrel nut fiducial marker with respect to recoil lug graduations is a precise and repeatable measurement of barrel nut tightness.
The barrel nut fiducial marker is easily made with a punch or scribe.
Graduations on a recoil lug of +/- ten sixteenths of an inch, with markers at 5 and 10, would do the trick./
And, we sould put those torque wrenches away.
joe b.

`so... how tight will it be then?

brtelec
06-20-2012, 06:01 PM
I tighten hand tight

ellobo
06-20-2012, 08:38 PM
hand tight. snug it up and hit the wrench with your hand.

El lobo

Dennis
06-20-2012, 11:27 PM
DITTO

I just tighten hand tight and then a bump or two with my hand on the wrench

Never have had a problem!

stangfish
06-21-2012, 12:25 AM
+1

joeb33050
06-21-2012, 04:50 AM
[quotet

`so... how tight will it be then?
[/quote]
If the nut mark is at +7, it's "+7" tight. The units of measure aren't "lb. ft." or "kg m", they're "sixteenths of an inch". same force measured, different units.
Keeping that torque wrench moving while measuring-not measuring "stiction", can be difficult.
Take the barrel off, put it on, set the nut to +7 and it's +7 tight, same as last time.
Precision and repeatability-there if the user wants them.
I don't measure or use a torque wrench, but for those who do, or wish to experiment.......
joe b.

dwt
06-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Hand tight and then 2 raps with a hammer on the wrench , no problem's on the dozen or so that I've done !

Nor Cal Mikie
06-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Hand tight then a rap on the nut wrench with a steel hammer. Never had one come loose!! And double check your headspace a couple of times.
Very small piece of masking tape on the barrel, just ahead of the nut with a black mark that matches a mark on the action and lug tells me if it ever moves. How tight as far as torque?
Who cares. It's not coming loose! (unless I loosen it up) ;)

cgeorgemo
06-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Hand tight and then I snug up the nut wrench and the action wrench with my hand squeezing them together.