PDA

View Full Version : accu trigger LUBE?

Willoughby
06-19-2012, 04:39 PM
what is the thick grey substance on factory accu triggers ?
is it something like nickel anti seize lube ?

it makes quite a difference in pull weight
when removed -pull weight increases 4-8 oz in my limited exsperience
I would like to know what they use
so after cleaning them I can reapply same thing
it works great !
thanks in advance for any responces

jhelmuth
06-19-2012, 04:54 PM
Will...

I've used Birchwood-Casey's Moly Lube (a dry lubricant in spray can form). I haven't taken the time to compare (and I can't any more), but I think this is a graphite/molebdyum (sp?) lube and it seems to duplicate the factory pull - at least that's my 2 cents...

drybean
06-19-2012, 05:02 PM
i use moly engine ass. lube

drybean

1jonzmith
06-19-2012, 11:34 PM
It would seem that you have trigger pull gauge as you are quoting ounces. Correct?

You are where the rubber meets the road and you can prove it. You seem to have a pull weight with the original grease but only Savage can tell you for sure what that grease is. You have now cleaned the trigger, it is dry, and you know what the trigger pull weight increased to and that should be your reference. Now lube it with gun oil and test. I suggest you get some of the Mil grease in little yellow capped cups sold on Ebay as "Machine gun grease" and that is what it is. Very sticky and thick and has high oil wt. number....probably 160. You might also try SYNTHETIC wheel bearing grease.

I think you can produce definitive info on the effectiveness of the various greases as a lube in the Accutrigger. Certainly it is info that you can use with your guns.

Pics would be nice if you could post them.

Thanks,

John

Willoughby
06-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Ive tryed several different types
moly
mil spec
Kg5
rem oil
all help but none match effectiveness of factory lube
Im gonna try some nickel ant sieze at next cleaning
it looks & feels exactly like the original stuff
& its about same consistency-
my gauge measures in lb's
with the original lube & after tuning they broke at 1 lb
after cleaning -no other adjustments - they break 1/4 to 1/2 way between the 1&2 lb marks
someday I may get a gauge that actually measures in oz -
but the one I have now gives me a good idea of before & after tuning pull weights
by the way all my accu triggers started at 3- 3.5 lbs at lowest setting

1jonzmith
06-25-2012, 01:37 AM
by the way all my accu triggers started at 3- 3.5 lbs at lowest setting

That isn't encouraging. I don't think a precision device like that should "break in". I have a Target Accutrigger and mine can be set to 1/2 pound. I think yours has a min of 1 1/2 pounds but you can look it up to be sure. The very nice thing about the AT is that if set to light it still catches the sear and won't slam fire. GREAT FEATURE FOR A DEVICE THAT IS MEANT TO BE SCREWED WITH BY THE MASSES.

Thanks for the info. Wish someone would tell us all what the Savage grease is.

John

Willoughby
06-25-2012, 10:49 AM
thats what they advertise anyway adjustable from 1.5 -6 lb
advertised pull weight are not allways real world pull weights IMHO
with the original accu trigger springs adjused to the lowest setting- backed all the way down- the were at 3.5 lb
the only adjustment would have been up in pull weight- fine for most firearms owners that shoot a couple times a year
I change the original springs around -at my own risk- or yours......-
moving the blade spring to rear position & using a ink pen spring for the blade position will bring near 1 - 1.5 lb with original lube
moving front spring to rear it has no adjustment exept removing coils or stretching
and yes I do form the spring to fit into the hole in the receiver ....
this is a mod I DO .......not for everyone-- I just like 1 lb triggers- try at your own risk-
never work on your rifle without slap bump testing afterwards
& remember this --> the only true saftey is the person holding the weapon -
dont point it at nothing you dont want a hole in & keep finger off the trigger till your on target
I own target accutrigger with a warning on the receiver - I see no differnce in the target accu trigger & the non target accutriggers
after this mod
again -light triggers arent for everone- many can shoot very well with factory setting -pull weights - I cant