PDA

View Full Version : DIY case annealing machine - FUN!

Pages : 1 [2] 3

jhelmuth
06-21-2012, 12:47 AM
By the way....
Speaking of annealing - I used to anneal after each firing. I stopped doing it that often & only anneal after 2 to 3 firings. I notice a better consistancy with the tighter neck fit. I'm wondering if maybe I wasn't making the brass necks a little too soft.

The most noticeable difference is in how much pressure is needed to seat the bullets. Now that you can anneal brass to death, you may want to consider that frequency you cook your cases.

Do you shoot competition? How often do you heat treat? What kind of consistancy do you notice?

Off to hit the proverbial rack. Busy day tomorrow.

Later y'all

Frank in fla

Working on it (competitions). I've got my rifles sorted, and practice has been good. Loading has been a big focus, since I need the tools to do thier best (since I'm such a slug noob).

I'll probably anneal every other firing now that I have the new machine. Previously I'd do it on 4th or 5th firing, but I was not able to be consistent with the drill/socket method. I can't say yet on the new machine, but I can't imagine the results will be disapointing...

btm_54
06-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Nice work thank you for sharing.

VA Bigbore
06-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Very cool. I wish I had the aptitude and the ability to come up with something like that. Guess I am stuck doin it the old fashioned way.

gotcha
06-21-2012, 08:49 PM
VERY cool indeed ! You're a lucky guy to have such a great Dad :) NICE video also. Please keep us posted on new developements. ....... I'm sure I could find some $ in my piggy bank to buy that old broken down prototype ;D

jhelmuth
06-23-2012, 07:51 PM
I just got word from my Dad that he will be taking pre-orders for the annealer. He can be contacted at delbert.helmuth@hotmail.com.

All the best,

Jim

Average_Casey
10-02-2012, 12:54 AM
jhelmuth,

That machine is just awesome. Thanks for sharing.

jhelmuth
10-02-2012, 09:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c62J_gMi74E

Thanks... Pops got the final machines finished. Thought I'd post a link to some video on it...

> Runs at 0 – 4.5 RPM forward or reverse
> single or double torch setup
> Lighter weight (all aircraft naluminum) and compact makes for easier storage and setup
> Automatically rotates the brass so that the flame/heat is evenly distributed around the case neck
> Fully adjustable flame tip – up/down/right/left/in/out (albeit we need to tweak that just a bit more)

Dennis
10-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Are they "For Sale" as we speak? Possible buyer here.

jhelmuth
10-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Dennis... I'll PM you my Dad's email. I believe he is using eaby, but moving that to Amazon as we speak. He is selling thses too cheap in my opinion (helluva deal)...

markb317
10-13-2012, 08:48 PM
where on Amazon are they listed? I can't seem to find them.
thanks Mark

jhelmuth
10-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Mark... I guess Pops hasn't completed the switch to Amazon (that's just him and is a generation issue if you know what I mean). I do believe he's still doing the ebay thing, but if you'd like to get intouch with him and find out more about these, I can give you all the contact info for him.

fgw_in_fla
10-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Jim?...
Are you still rubbing this into everyone's butt? We get it.
Your Dad's better at building annealing machines than ours.... You don't have to repeatedly rub it in.

I guess I need to put up a few pictures of MY annealing machine. It's waaayyyyyy better than yours. But, before I take any pics, I'll need to wash my hands & get a manicure. They're a critical part of the machine...
Frank in Fla

jhelmuth
10-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Hey my friend... sorry - just trying to help. I'm sure you have a better one, but I like the one I got. Would love to see pics of yours...

Jim?...
Your Dad's better at building annealing machines than ours.... You don't have to repeatedly rub it in.

I guess I need to put up a few pictures of MY annealing machine. It's waaayyyyyy better than yours. But, before I take any pics, I'll need to wash my hands & get a manicure. They're a critical part of the machine...
Frank in Fla

fgw_in_fla
10-14-2012, 12:20 AM
You can see it in the stock repair article I did. It's my fingers....

I thought I'd get a manicure before shooting any close ups of me twirling a brass case in the fire.

By the way, that is a pretty nice gadget he made. I just watched the vid.

Just think, someday we'll have alot of extra time to invent & build gadgets when we get to that retirement stage.

Got to get ready for tomorrow. Hitting the range early tomorrow.
Later.
Frank in Fla

Bradley Walker
10-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Jim?...

Frank in Fla
zzz

Blue Avenger
10-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Hummm I know someone that gets a bonus in a couple days.

jsthntn247
10-17-2012, 09:47 AM
He is selling them for 300, which is an excellent price. This looks very similar to the Bench Source model for 200 dollars cheaper. Wish I had a place to put one.

jhelmuth
10-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Just FYI... the price will have to be increased to $330 (could be effective any day, but probably on Nov. 1st). Unfortunately, materials increases and his very low profit margin (which is why he's doing these $200 less than Bench Source) force the price increase. I am not sure, but if you were to contact him now, you may be able to save the $30...

He is selling them for 300, which is an excellent price. This looks very similar to the Bench Source model for 200 dollars cheaper. Wish I had a place to put one.

Blue Avenger
11-17-2012, 07:11 PM
The new one I just received. It works very well! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/photobucket-2610-1353191576425.jpg

I see I can get extra plates drilled as I want for $60- Going to have to do that for the large runs of .308 as there is to much dead air time when doing 300+ cases the same size.

surfj9009
03-21-2013, 08:36 AM
I sent him an email about getting one. Is the previous email you posted still good?