PDA

View Full Version : does everyone clean their barrels?

Pages : [1] 2

leo158
06-17-2012, 07:53 PM
I cleaned mine today and shot 20 rnds to foul it up. Now I can't get it to group. What to do as in next step now to get it to shoot well again?

geargrinder
06-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Shoot some more. That's why I don't clean my barrels until accuracy drops off.

bootsmcguire
06-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Shoot some more. That's why I don't clean my barrels until accuracy drops off.

Exactly my philosophy for all my Savage factory made Barrels. My CBI and Pac-Nor seem to shoot great either way.

Grit #1
06-17-2012, 08:25 PM
I do a partial clean evey 80 to 100 rds. I push 3 TM soaked patches through the barrel followed by 3 dry patches, swab the chamber dry, and run a wet patch of Kroil.
Best regards,
Grit

lal357
06-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Clean mine before every match then foul them usually takes 5 rounds to bring it in .ymmv

dacaur
06-17-2012, 11:21 PM
I run an oil patch down it when I finish shooting, and a dry patch before I shoot the next time... Whenever a clean it it takes about 5-10 rounds to bring the accuracy back, so I normally only clean it every 50 -100 rounds.... This is a .308 win... I cleaned it last year after deer hunting and hav not shot it since, my plan this year before deer hunting with it is to shoot about 50-75 rounds during the summer to get in some practice, clean it, then shoot about 20-30 more once the temps drop to ensure the accuracy is where it should be, then put it away till the hunt...

fgw_in_fla
06-18-2012, 05:39 AM
I let the barrels soak for 30 to 60 minutes at a time with Hoppe's to remove copper after each range session. The next range session, I always have at least 10 foulers for each caliber..... Except my 25-06. I really don't believe the barrel has been fully "shot - in" yet.

Accuracy seems to start dropping off after 30 to 40 rounds or so. Also depends on if I'm shooting Hornady or Nosler.

Mine won't fully settle down until I run about 8 to 10 rounds thru it. I 'spose you need to find your particular rifle's quircks. Give it time if it's brandy brand new. It may take a few trips to the range.

Frank in Fla.

brtelec
06-18-2012, 05:48 AM
I clean after every range session. I use Tubbs Final Finish Bullets in all of my barrels and it makes cleaning a snap. I will use KG-12 and then check for additional copper fouling. If it is stubborn then I give it a pass with JB's bore paste. That is rare. I run a patch with Gun Scrubber down the bore before going to the range and that's it. I do not shoot any foulers. I have not found it to be needed. Prior to using Tubb bullets to lap my barrels it was a whole different routine.

Dennis
06-18-2012, 01:49 PM
I decided to clean my 223 Remmy barrel about a year ago. This gun would shoot sub MOA any time! After cleaning and getting perfect patches out of the barrel, I had to shoot 50 rounds out of the gun to get my accuracy back! Each time I shot it the groups would shrink! I couldn't believe it!

I normally clean my barrel about every 150 rounds. My 308 stays consistant with cleaning every 150 rounds!

I know some who don't clean at all! And some who clean every 20 rounds!

skypilot
06-18-2012, 04:11 PM
Shoot it until the accuracy comes back, then shoot it until the accuracy goes away, counting the number of rounds fired and you may find a max round count to determine when to clean. Looking @ my "book" on the .223 it gets cleaned @ 153 rounds, that's where I can see the accuracy begin to decline @ 300 and 400 yds. I do 2 wet patches of the Hoppes 9, nylon brush about 10 strokes, dry patch 'till no color appears on patch and call it a job. CCB is always dead on afterwards.

Regards,

rrflyer
06-19-2012, 02:06 AM
Every 350-400 rounds seems to be where I end up doing it

leo158
06-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Thought savages are supposed to shoot MOA, I would even think after cleaning the barrel it should still be at MOA.Thats what I am pondering on now. How to keep my gun MOA even after I clean it without putting alot of rounds thru the barrel to foul it. Any thoughts if its worth making alot of different loads,then clean barrel after each different load and see what one groups the best after barrel cleaned? Thanks all again for input, Dan

skypilot
06-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Thought savages are supposed to shoot MOA, I would even think after cleaning the barrel it should still be at MOA.Thats what I am pondering on now. How to keep my gun MOA even after I clean it without putting alot of rounds thru the barrel to foul it. Any thoughts if its worth making alot of different loads,then clean barrel after each different load and see what one groups the best after barrel cleaned? Thanks all again for input, Dan

I tend to agree, however a 3/4" MOA rifle with factory loads will do slightly better with handloads, say .525-.615. So if shooting @ 400yds and go from 2.5" 5 rd groups to 3.5-3 3/4" groups and nothing else is different, cleaning may be in order even tho it's still under MOA @ 400yds.

Then after cleaning you should be easily back inside the original 3/4" MOA. Im refering to a tactical rifle not a custom BR gun.

I too am most concerened with Clean Cold Bore and Fouled Cold Bore. After 460 total rds(new rifle), different cleaning rituals and frequencies, it appears they(CCB & FCB) are the basically the same after cleaning @ 153 rounds. So I could go to a max of 153 rds before accuracy degrades and then my cleaning method brings it back. If I clean earlier at say 50 rds, I validated my CCB, and 4 rds are still
1 1/8"-1 1/4@ 200 Here is a photo of a 200 yd validation after a 50 rd clean last thing before leving the range.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t368/u4icst8/th_182YDCCB4_19_12Horn55VMax55.jpg (http://s1056.photobucket.com/albums/t368/u4icst8/?action=view&current=182YDCCB4_19_12Horn55VMax55.jpg)

rrflyer
06-20-2012, 01:55 AM

To make it easier just clean it after 350ish rounds at the range then put 5 rounds back through it and leave it alone.

The gun may still shoot MOA or less after cleaning.... But where those bullets are impacting on target may be different after cleaning than they were before.

Bamboolongbow
06-24-2012, 11:52 AM
It is all about the copper. I remove all of the carbon from my barrel with Mpro7. I leave the copper and my gun shoots with consistent predictability. My barrel is stock on Savage 110 FP. The hand lapped custom barrels foul less.

bowhunter42
06-24-2012, 05:42 PM
I clean mine every time after I shoot it and I usually run some Jb bore polish ater between 60 to 100 rounds with about 30 to 40 strokes in the throat area then finish with 50 strokes the full length of the barrel. I then finish with a rem oil soaked patch let soak for about 15 minutes then run 5 or 6 clean dry patches thru it to remove the oil. all my rifles seem to print the same from a clean cold bore or one with 100 rounds down the pipe. just something a old friend had showed me along time ago and I feel it really helps to keep throat erosion down and prolongs the life of the barrel.

leo158
06-24-2012, 08:42 PM
Whats the best way to remove copper from the barrel? I think its time for a good scrub down. Over 175 rounds through it now. Was shooting today and the first shot was a flier high and to the left,next 2 was on target almost touching,4 rth shot low and to the right. Moved up to next loads i made and the same thing. high left,almost 2 touching dead on and the fourth low and right. This happened thru 35 gr 35.5 gr 36 gr and 36.5 gr. So I am thinking my barrel is in need of a good cleaning. The first flier clean the grooves out enough for 2nd and 3rd shot and the third shot fouls the barrel for the fourth and throws all off again.. I let the barrel cool off between different loads and it repeats all over again. Thanks,Dan

Grit #1
06-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Sweet's 7.62
Best regards,
Grit

seanhagerty
06-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Gunslick foaming bore cleaner overnight soak

rusty815
06-24-2012, 10:18 PM
I clean mine frequently during hunting season since it gets dirt in there a lot. During the off season where I only take it to the range, I don't clean it very often, if at all.