PDA

View Full Version : tell me about my new to me 110

pete
06-17-2012, 04:58 PM
hi all,just signed in to this board.bought my third 110 recently.first two i got to put scopes on then use for trading stock.thought i might keep this one as a beater.little bit of surface rust,some scratches on stock,action bolt missing and needs part for bolt.you know what i mean,buy it cheap enough,clean it up,fix it up,look what i got for 75.00 + 6.00 in parts.anyhow, it already had bases on it.while working on the bolt i noticed the bases werent screwed on.the other 2 were drilled.ser #f038xxx.im guessing they were factory installed.c
an anyone give me some info on this rifle?
thanks,
pete

ellobo
06-17-2012, 05:18 PM
What markings does it have? Birch or laminate stock? Caliber? Does it have a flat rear of the reciever? If there is a ser. no go to Savage website and enter it in the parts finder. It may give you some data. If the bases are part of the reciever or brazed on they are factory. For a short while Savage used cast recievers with integral bases or brazed on bases on tubular steel recievers. Much older Savage it seems.
Complete bolts are availabe from Midway USA or Brownells.
El Lobo

devildogandboy
06-17-2012, 05:24 PM
i can't really help you but welcome to SavageShooters. someone here will definitely be able to help if you give them all the info required!
enjoy the site! :)

pete
06-17-2012, 08:04 PM
tried the savage site before this sight but was no help.ser,# was in the first post.birch stock,22" bbl.not drilled for sights,blind magazine,red solid recoil pad,mounts brazed or soldered on,.270 cal.can give more info if needed.

thanks,
pete

ellobo
06-18-2012, 01:15 AM
It is indeed an oldy. If the bolt is missing you may have a problem getting a bolt head to fit. That rifle probably has the old style bolt head that fit into a recess in the barrel. Some one on here recently showed the old style compared to the newer ones. May be he will chime in again. I beleive it is near impossible to find one of those old style bolt heads. As they say in Yokahama "Rottsa Ruck".

El Lobo

thomae
06-18-2012, 01:35 AM
I have a similar rifle with an E serial number, so I suspect yours is newer than mine. Mine is a round back, long action that takes a standard bolt (although it has a large-diameter Firing Pin) You should be able to purchase a long action bolt or bolt parts and have them fit just fine. Your mounts are either silver soldered on or perhaps (according to Sharpshooter) tack welded.
Your magazine is a stagger feed with the magazine box attached to the action.

What part of the bolt do you need to replace?
Nothing wrong with the scope mounts, although they may keep you from properly mounting SOME scopes with the proper eye relief.

If you are not sure how to describe things, post photos. Each photo will save you about 1000 words, I hear. ::)

Welcome to the forum. If you decide to become a paid member, you have access to classifieds: buy and sell. Sometimes you can find parts for cheap.
I've learned a lot here just by reading and asking questions.

pete
06-18-2012, 07:33 AM
dont need the whole bolt,just the cocking piece link washer.also need the rear action bolt for my gun and the front one for my sons gun.this gun has the newer style bolt.it has the round back.sorry but dont know how to post pics.

thanks,
pete

thomae
06-18-2012, 07:49 AM
PM sent about photos.
The action screws are 1/4" x 28 machine screws.
They are available at some hardware stores (not the big box stores), through Savage directly, and through some of this site's advertisers.
I believe Midwayusa also carries them as does Brownells. Often folks will get long ones and then cut/grind them down to fit their particular application.

Email me a photo of the bolt and I'll try to post it for you. With a picture, you will have a ton of experts on the forum able to help you.

pete
06-18-2012, 08:18 AM
thanks thomae on the screws.tried 1/4 20 and fine thread so i knew it was in there some where.now all i need is the cocking piece link washer.dont know how to put pics on e-mail either.

pete

thirty06
06-18-2012, 04:19 PM
If I remember right your rifle was made around 89-90. Bolt should be the same as the new ones except, lg. firing pin & alignment
slot in bolthead.

Leonardo63
06-18-2012, 06:08 PM
I have a 110E- bought it new in or around 91'. Large firing pin, it's a flat back- Big screw on bolt is a BIG slotted head screw.

thomae
06-18-2012, 06:19 PM
I have a 110E- bought it new in or around 91'. Large firing pin, it's a flat back- Big screw on bolt is a BIG slotted head screw.

My F serial numbered 110 also has the big slotted screw, but is a round back with integral mounts and the large diameter firing pin.

Leonardo63
06-18-2012, 07:47 PM

My F serial numbered 110 also has the big slotted screw, but is a round back with integral mounts and the large diameter firing pin.

Am I correct that my E would be older? and is it possible to convert to small firing pin with it and a new face?

thomae
06-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Yes. You would need a new bolt head (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/461219/savage-arms-bolt-head-long-action-savage-110-to-116-push-feed-small-firing-pin-hole-right-hand-25-06-remington-270-winchester-30-06-springfield).

New bolt head retaining pin (small hole) (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/761587/savage-arms-bolt-head-retaining-pin-small-hole-100).

New Firing pin (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/115418/savage-arms-firing-pin-30-06-springfield-standard-magnum-model-110-111) or a firing pin assembly (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/630992/savage-arms-firing-pin-assembly-small-version-long-action-m112-7mm-stw-30-06-springfield-300-winchester-magnum-blue).

You can purchase a new baffle, ejector, pin and spring, and extractor, spring & ball. Or you can reuse the ones from your current bolt. Midwayusa has all that stuff, and I think Brownells does as well.

Leonardo63
06-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the info, it's on the list now for sure- I'm re-barreling/stocking it in 6.5X47Lapua and with the SR primers it just seemed like the right thing to do (just guessing really)