PDA

View Full Version : Addicting hobby now want to go hitech

leo158
06-17-2012, 12:01 AM
I see myself buying a RCB chargmaster 1500 and the case prep center next week. This can get expensive. But I know I will save that from buying factory ammo and have pride in knowing I made this ammo myself. I bought 5 boxes of 22-250 remmy 55gr sps At almost 100$. I just reloaded about 199 rnds and I think it cost about 5$ a box. 99 rnds for myself and a 100 for a friend.Since I got my sav 22-250 I am saying I put about 160+ shells thru it. This is about in 2 months maybe. And most have been with in the last couple weeks. I might be replacing my rifle by the end of year maybe. About how many rnds can I put thru a barrel before its in the trash? I am guessing i am under 3700 fps. Thanks all and what a great hobby, Dan

brtelec
06-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Until I got a 338 Lapua I did not think that reloading saved me one red cent. I always felt that I was just getting more shooting in for the money. That and the fact that I have totally lost track of how many hundreds of dollars I have spent on gadgets, some put into constant use, some not. After buying a 338 Lapua though, I can see the economy in reloading. At $7- a round for match quality ammo I have enjoyed being able to reload it for $1.46 each. Of course it is only economical if you anneal your brass. At $2 plus each for unprimed brass, you best take care of it!

bythebook
06-17-2012, 08:13 AM
I see myself buying a RCB chargmaster 1500 and the case prep center next week. This can get expensive. But I know I will save that from buying factory ammo and have pride in knowing I made this ammo myself. I bought 5 boxes of 22-250 remmy 55gr sps At almost 100$. I just reloaded about 199 rnds and I think it cost about 5$ a box. 99 rnds for myself and a 100 for a friend.Since I got my sav 22-250 I am saying I put about 160+ shells thru it. This is about in 2 months maybe. And most have been with in the last couple weeks. I might be replacing my rifle by the end of year maybe. About how many rnds can I put thru a barrel before its in the trash? I am guessing i am under 3700 fps. Thanks all and what a great hobby, Dan

This is a very addictive hobby, but also rewarding. I have been loading since 1965 starting out with very simple equiptment. Now I have a basement full of all kinds of gadgets.

I don,t have an RCBS loadmaster but I do have a Lyman 1200 and a Smartloader dispenser. I would recomend looking at the Hornady Lock and load Prep center that has the trimmer built into it, not the small one. I bought the RCBS and it works good but the Hornady is solider, quiter and has the case trimmer also. It is more expensive but is 2 machines in one.

Just some advise from my experince.
Gordon

nsaqam
06-17-2012, 11:19 AM
You're right about the addicting part.
My advice however is to skip the Chargemaster or any electronic dispenser and just use a manual powder measure.
Put the money saved into a Pro Chrono Digital chronograph.
With practice a manual powder measure is much quicker and just as accurate as an electronic one.
A decent chronograph (read, not a Shooting Chrony) is a powerful tool.
Also, invest in one of the many concentricity gauges so you know your loaded rounds are built right.

psharon97
06-17-2012, 03:02 PM
I use the chargemaster 1500. Love it.

leo158
06-21-2012, 05:33 PM
[

I would recomend looking at the Hornady Lock and load Prep center that has the trimmer built into it, not the small one. I bought the RCBS and it works good but the Hornady is solider, quiter and has the case trimmer also. It is more expensive but is 2 machines in one.

Just some advise from my experince.
Gordon

That prep center is nice. I might ,well most likely down the road pick one up. I do have my mind set on the chargemaster and the the rcbs prep center will do for now. But that hornady is a good looking machine. I checked it out on youtube. Thanks for the introduction to that machine though. Dan

stangfish
06-27-2012, 11:07 PM
You're right about the addicting part.
My advice however is to skip the Chargemaster or any electronic dispenser and just use a manual powder measure.
Put the money saved into a Pro Chrono Digital chronograph.
With practice a manual powder measure is much quicker and just as accurate as an electronic one.
A decent chronograph (read, not a Shooting Chrony) is a powerful tool.
Also, invest in one of the many concentricity gauges so you know your loaded rounds are built right.

I have a Chargmaster and it is awesome...buuuut this ^ is good advice. Also get yourself a set of hornady: overall length gauge (Stoney point), cartridge headspace and bullet comparator to get those tolerence tightened up a bit. Quality reloading is all about consistency not the fanciest gadgets.