PDA

View Full Version : ..............Bullets not touching lands on 2 of 4 rifles...........

daniel brothers
06-16-2012, 02:29 PM
I have 4 rifles in 243. DaveMuzz told me how to check the ogive by slightly sizing an old case just enough to hold a bullet... then chamber it and pull it out slowly and take it's full length measurement.... which I did on all four rilfes... but they differ... can you explain why....? I'm using Hornady 58 gr v-max bullets.

With the bullet barely inside the case...these are my results...

Savage 110 syn stock... measures 2.665-69 on three test...

OLD Savage 110 wood stock... it will not touch lands...

Howa 1500 2.680-684

Old Remmy 700..... can't touch the lands either...

The two OLD rifles were not able to reach the lands... is that because they were cut longer in the Oldie days...?

The Howa and Blk Savage are newer models.

davemuzz
06-16-2012, 02:51 PM
DB,

When you got these different measurements from the SAME RIFLE did you use the same bullet? Or did you use a different bullet? Just asking as the four thousands difference is not significant considering the method that you used. But....just my curiosity. ;D

As to "Will each rifle differ?".....Yup!! You bet. In fact, I'd be surprised if they didn't. I have two Shilen barrels for my Savage. Each one is chambered in 6.5x55 and each one has a different free-bore. The light-contour has more than the bull barrel.

Now.....for the "older models" it could be that if they have been shot a bunch, you may be seeing throat erosion. Or it simply could be that the spec's for throat rheeming "back in the day" were different than today. I don't know but someone who may know may chime in on this.

Still, if your bullets will not touch the lands, you may get different results by trying different OAL's on your handloads with your older rifles. If you already have an accurate load for these....then don't fix what isn't broken.

MHO

Dave

daniel brothers
06-16-2012, 03:10 PM
I haven't worked up a finial load on any of these rifles yet...just getting started doing it, while learning about reloading at the same time.

Kinda like dating a girl and her mother at the same time...LOL.... just kidding...

Been using IMR 4895 w/ 43.5 grs - 44.7grs. Looks like around the 44.0 are will work best for now.

I did use the same bullet in my little test... the slight differance is probably just me and the caliber...LOL.

I'm sure I need to stick with one rifle at a time...but I was curious as to which shot best with some beginning loads... and what was too hot as well. I did learn that mixing federal and winchester brass makes a big differance... heck... the feds averaged 75 fps hotter... some even popped the primer with 44.7 loads w/ 3940 fps... so I'm backing off on that load... but it does not pop primers in win cases.

The differance chamber length in each rifle is intersting for sure... I'm open to suggestions...thanks....Dan

Trent
06-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Any idea on round count on the two that won't touch?

daniel brothers
06-16-2012, 06:06 PM
I have no idea of round count on these older rifles since I bought them used. Would I have to use them with longer heavier bullets...? But then again.... don't v-maxes like a little jump...?

I need to get some long/heavier bullets and test their overall length to see what it takes to touch the lands.... maybe they were made long in the oldies...

fgw_in_fla
06-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Dan - I think Dave affords you the best advice. If it ain't broke, don't screw with it. I have a .270 that IF I was to seat the bullet .010" off the lands, it still wouldn't touch the case mouth. (I'll let you absorb that for a moment....)

And this is a rifle that'll consistantly shoot .5" to .75"groups with 130gr Noslers..... All day long. Cold or hot. It's just a characteristic of the barrel.
Still I have a .243 that I have to be cafeful with seating bullets. The chamber is kinda sorta short...... Real short.

As far as mixing brass is concerned..... Don't.

You'll drive yourself batty. I have an '06 that hates Winchester. My 25'06 loves Remington & hates Federal. Limit your reloading to one brass type at a time. You'll save time, powder, bullets & sanity. As the saying goes - Change 1 (ONE) thing at a time.

Frank in Fla

daniel brothers
06-16-2012, 07:20 PM
I was a little batty with different fps until I realized that I had two types of brass... which I won't anymore... and it must still be broke... because I haven't fixed it yet... I just got my hands on these 4 used rifles and haven't really got them truly tested yet. I'm wanting to make them all... or at least one... perferbably the lefty... a real coyote shooting machine... which is what turns my crank right now. I have a savage 12 in 223 which I WILL NOT TOUCH... SHE IS A SHOOTER. I would probably be happy with selling all these rifles and getting another lefty 12 in 243.... oh well... we'll see what happens... you guys are helpful..thanks...Dan

fgw_in_fla
06-16-2012, 11:43 PM
You're welcome....

have fun.

Frank in Fla

davemuzz
06-17-2012, 02:50 PM
and getting another lefty 12 in 243....

A LEFTY!!!! Well.....now we know what the problem is!!!! ;D :D

daniel brothers
06-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Smile when you say that Pilgram.... LOL

I'm a righty in everything except rifles and shotguns.... since my master eye is on the left side of my head... don't know how it got over there... oh well... just have to work with what you got....

I love my savage 12, 223 so much... I keep thinking I just need to get another 12 in a lefty in a 243.... or just change this one out... don't know what it would take to do it. My desire for a 243 is for bucking the wind on those windy coyote hunting days. My 223 with 40 vmax's does great on calmer days...but when that wind gets up... I'm looking for more stability... which has me leaning towards the 243... we'll see what happens.