PDA

View Full Version : Head spaceing question

davemuzz
06-15-2012, 04:32 PM
I wrenched a heavy bull barrel in 6.5 Swede onto my M-12 single shot action for the summer, and have had it to the range a few times. Now, I have go\no-go gauges that I used to headspace it.....but here's my question.

When I installed the barrel, I headspaced it a bit "snug". Now that I've shot some rounds down it, I will get a few rounds (I F\L size my brass) that are tight on closing. And it's not the bullet into the lands.

So...I re-checked the headspace and (now that I'm sober... :o...just kidding) the headspace is probably a tad tighter than I should have made it. You know.....it's the old...."hind sight" is always 20-20 rule.

So, I'm getting 3/4" groups at 100 yards....but I'm overthinking this headspace. Maybe I shoulda.....outta......just back it out a tad. After all....it's gonna take about ten minutes outta my life to do it.

Thoughts?

Dave

fgw_in_fla
06-15-2012, 04:48 PM
There's one way to find out....

Got your barrel wrench ready? ;)

I try to set the depth of the die in the press so it'll set the shoulders where I need them to be. After neck sizing a couple 5 to 6 times, I need to FS my brass sooooooooo.....

I test a few pieces in the press & make sure the brass chambers without having to use a come-a-long to pull the bolt back.

I'd be wondering why the HS has gotten smaller with time. Or, is it the brass getting longer with use? Set you die depth to get your HS and go from there. I use .002" to .003".... That's 1 piece of generic cellophane tape for .002" and Scotch Brand "Office" tape for .003". I try to be very accurate & scientific whenever I can. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Frank in Fla

CharlieNC
06-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Do you have a headspace comparator for your brass? I had similar problem, especially after neck sizing, and found the cases had become a little longer. Full length sizing back to original length (measure brass that is not tight) fixed it.

Eric in NC
06-15-2012, 04:58 PM
You check your case length? The Swede grows quick!

davemuzz
06-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Yeah.....I always (yes....always) use a Redding body die to size the body\shoulder before each de-prime. Then I have my F\L die adjusted to de-prime and neck size only. ;D That may sound a little redundant.....but I seem to get some decent groups using that method. (Plus I sprinkle "Dust of dead Rat" over the bullets before I shoot 'em! Hey....could it hurt? ;D)

Here's a 5 shot group from today's range trip. 100 yards, Nosler 140gr. and 46.5 RL-22:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/f5659ebd.jpg

And again....remember, I just did the "double check" of the headspace this morning with my Go-guage. The bolt is just a tad tight on closing. I honestly think it's because the barrel isn't "squeaky clean" like it was when I did the original headspacing.

So.....Leave it as is....or adjust it and give it more room? My brass doesn't appear to be taking a beating. (Of course, I use nothing else but Lapua or Norma brass for the Swede)

Thanks again.

Dave

fgw_in_fla
06-15-2012, 11:05 PM
"DUst of DeAd rat, Dave????

What happened? Did you run out of "Eye of Newt" of maybe some "Snakes Knees"?

For whatever it's worth, I do hold preference to Lizards' Gizzards. They work when ya need 'em....

Frank in Fla (We're not in Kansas any longer, ToTo..... ;D)

sharpshooter
06-16-2012, 03:17 AM
Give it some more room. With a tight bolt you can't tell if you have .0 headspace,-.001, -.0015 or even-.002" because of the mechanical advantage of a bolt handle. A tight case will case a difference in pressure and a big difference in harmonics. Bump the shoulder about .002" and that flyer will most probably dissappear.

davemuzz
06-16-2012, 10:00 AM
"DUst of DeAd rat, Dave????

What happened? Did you run out of "Eye of Newt" of maybe some "Snakes Knees"?

For whatever it's worth, I do hold preference to Lizards' Gizzards. They work when ya need 'em....

Frank in Fla (We're not in Kansas any longer, ToTo..... ;D)

Yeah.....you know.....They've been back ordered on the "good stuff" you mentioned for months now. It must be an O-BAMA thing like the A\R-15 gun runs. All I have is the DoDR...and now I'm gonna half to start making my own pretty soon. But....on the up side my new Savage .223 carbine will come in handy!! ;D

Give it some more room. With a tight bolt you can't tell if you have .0 headspace,-.001, -.0015 or even-.002" because of the mechanical advantage of a bolt handle. A tight case will case a difference in pressure and a big difference in harmonics. Bump the shoulder about .002" and that flyer will most probably dissappear.

Sharpshooter......Yeah....See..that's why I posted this. I knew someone would put into words what I was thinking....but couldn't babble out myself. :P I'll de-wrench....re-wrench.....shoot and let ya know how it works.

Dave

Nor Cal Mikie
06-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Sounds like your not using factory loaded ammo so if it was me, and I was getting groups like your getting, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Will full length resized brass fit in the chamber without too much effort to close the bolt?
That would tell me that your reloading die is pushing the shoulder back enough.
Better to have a snug chamber fit than over working the brass every time you resize because the brass has blown out to fit the longer chamber.

JW
06-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Was wondering the same thing you are Dave
I have a 6mmBR that I done the same thing to--snug go gauge
I had to modify the shellholder to get the redding body die to set the shoulder back far enough to not get a stiff bolt up with the sized brass
After thinking on it for a while I have since started giving my new barrels a little more on the go gauge, no go gauge is still good
Not talking about a lot but as Sharpshooter said a little room is good
Jack

fgw_in_fla
06-16-2012, 06:20 PM
I just read what SharpSHooter put up & that really answers a few questions I'd been pondering. My .270 seems to be somewhat "sensitive" to tight headspace. THat would explain tight headspaced brass shooting loose groups with known accurate loads.

Typically, my .270 will put 3 to 4 rounds almost in the same hole at 100 yds when my blood pressure isn't causing the scope to pulse on & off the target. I can recall chambering rounds that felt tight and having that round become the flyer of the group.... consistantly.

Ya can't help but like that Jim SharpShooter. He doesn't say much but when he does...... as the saying goes. (Kinda like A.G. Edwards)

Frank In FLa ;)

mbkmkk
06-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Was wondering the same thing you are Dave
I have a 6mmBR that I done the same thing to--snug go gauge
I had to modify the shellholder to get the redding body die to set the shoulder back far enough to not get a stiff bolt up with the sized brass
After thinking on it for a while I have since started giving my new barrels a little more on the go gauge, no go gauge is still good
Not talking about a lot but as Sharpshooter said a little room is good
Jack

Wow, I did same thing. Had a 6BR Barrel slightly tight on Go-Gauge, backed barrel off a little made sure No-Go did not close and shooting with no problems with F/L sized brass.