PDA

View Full Version : Odd Question?

JohnW
06-15-2012, 07:26 AM
I just received my Savage 12 BVSS .223. I bought some Weaver (inexpensive) mounts and Leopold medium rings. I am going to lap the rings and mount my Weaver V16 scope. Then I'm going to break-in the barrel.
For the rest of the season. I am going to continue using my Ruger 77 and use up some inventory.
Then.... I want to move my Weaver T36 over to my Savage for next year.

My question is. Does on scope come close to the same zero as another? The reason I'd like to know is. To me. SHIM is a four letter word. Will I have to start the scope mounting process all over again?

jhelmuth
06-15-2012, 08:22 AM
If you are speaking of the "zero" from the turrets - not likely. Theoretically, I suppose it should be so. But the likely difference in the errector assemblies along with the adjustment to the "zero" on the turrets would rule out the likelihood of such luck.

If you have a good collaminator type borescope, I suppose you could use it to "set" the zero of the new scope to be very close to the same zero as the one you're taking off.

fgw_in_fla
06-15-2012, 11:09 PM
It never works out that way for me. But then, I never do anything the easy way.....

I alway end up going thru the zero in process all over. I can't speak for ring lapping. Never had the need to.

Frank in Fla

JohnW
06-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Scope ring lapping? When I bought my Remington Sendero and scope. The clerk asked me if I was going to lap the rings. Because there is no returns on the scope. I said no. So he gave me some little paper shims. I used that rifle for years with no problems.
When I mounted my rings on my Ruger 77 I went ahead and bought the scope mounting kit.
My goodness! Am I glad I did. The miss match of the rings had to have been close to .050. If I had tightened up the scope it would have twisted it like a hot-dog. Never again. I just mounted my scope on my new Savage and the miss match was only about maybe .010. I lapped the Aluminum rings and had the scope mounted in about 20 minutes. Perfect fit. Piece of mind.

cgeorgemo
06-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Burris Signature Rings...

barrel-nut
06-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Your T-36 should have quite a bit more adjustment range than your V-16, so you should have no problem re-zeroing without shimming anything.