PDA

View Full Version : Lengthening mag on SF WSM action?

nsaqam
06-14-2012, 11:14 PM
Has anyone done this?
My SF WSM mag is too short, 2.890". I want a full three inches and 3.1" would be even better.

I'm thinking of milling the front of the action mag cutout forward about .200" and cutting a new slot for the tab on the mag box. I'd then cut the mag box in front of the shoulder ridges and silver solder extensions to lengthen the box to the required size.

This type of modification was common on Mauser actions being lengthened for full length magnums during the heyday of sporterizing military actions.

Does anyone offer this service or am I on my own?

Skunce
06-14-2012, 11:27 PM
I did it on my long action, but I lengthened it to the rear .250" to allow feeding .338 Edge rounds. I sectioned two magazine boxes and TIG welded them back together to make the extra long box and machined a new follower from aluminum. I used a Dremel tool to recut the notch for the magazine box. Also shortened the right side of the rear baffle to allow extra bolt travel.

nsaqam
06-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Of course I'd have to cut a new feed ramp too.

nsaqam
06-14-2012, 11:36 PM
I did it on my long action, but I lengthened it to the rear .250" to allow feeding .338 Edge rounds. I sectioned two magazine boxes and TIG welded them back together to make the extra long box and machined a new follower from aluminum. I used a Dremel tool to recut the notch for the magazine box. Also shortened the right side of the rear baffle to allow extra bolt travel.

Interesting.
Thanks for the response.
I'd need to cut the front of the box as my case length is staying the same. I just want to be able to seat long bullets out further.
Primarily the 208 Amax with a throat cut to suit that bullet kissing the lands.

nsaqam
06-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Looking into this further I've decided now to lengthen the magazine box in front of the shoulder ridges but to lengthen the mag cutout in the receiver in the rear by .130".
There just isn't enough room in front to allow a proper feed ramp without compromising the strength of the bottom locking lug abutment.
I'll have to shorten the ejector blade and thin the right side baffle lug to allow more rearward travel for the bolt.
Should be an easy milling job.