PDA

View Full Version : Question RE:Savage Actions

MikeCTX
12-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Waiting on a new barrel for the model 11 and was looking the action over yesterday...started thinking (always a dangerous thing..lol). Is the Model 11 action the same as the one used on a 12 FV? Other than the accu-trigger? It seems like Savage has the following actions (please correct if I am wrong) they are:
1. Target Action - various versions Rblp/Rbrp/Rb dual port both single shot and mag feed (these are all large shank?)
2. Varmint Action - Stainless and blued, single shot and mag feed - small shank
3. Sporter Action - blued or Stainless steel - small shank
4. the Mag action - or is it just one of the three above?

What got me thinking about this, is would really like to find a stainless single shot action later on, but do not see it offered by itself (small shank) other than the Target Actions (which are large shank?).

If this has been covered else where, mods please delete this if someone would just point me to the right place......Thanks,

okbob51
12-07-2009, 10:08 PM
All the target actions are large shank.

82boy
12-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Your 11 is the same action as a 12.
You are over complicating things. Savage has TWO actions a long and a short, everything else is a variation off of that.

The target action is the same action as a 12 (or any other short action 10,11,12,14,16) it just has less machining done. They threaded it for a large shank barrel. The target action and varmint and sporter action is just terms that Savage put on them for who know why. Magnums (RUM, SUM) use the same action just with some different machining process. It is all the same.

MikeCTX
12-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Figures, I was making it more complicated..Thanks Pat.

Saw your post about the target actions, having shot one would agree about them. The one I shot was a right bolt/left port, sure was nice and smooth and a lot of fun to shoot.