Stockrex
06-14-2012, 08:14 PM
I see Northlander lists
6.5x55 regular
6.5x55 long/sporting throat

what are the limitations/use of each?

ellobo
06-15-2012, 01:24 AM
Call Jim at Northlander and ask him. I am curious myself.

El Lobo

Nor Cal Mikie
06-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Any caliber, (in general) you start out shooting XX length bullets.
You get SUPER results and accuracy. Life is good. 8)
You're seating to the lands.
Next thing you know, the throat has worn, you can't reach the lands to jam, not enough bullet to case neck contact, the accuracy has gone into the toilet and you're not a happy camper anymore. :(

Short throat chamber gives you longer shooting time with your prefered bullet before you have to go to longer bullets to reach the lands and get the same results. (been there, done that!!)
Plan ahead. Get a shorter throat chamber from the start. JMHO, Mike.

nsaqam
06-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Any caliber, (in general) you start out shooting XX length bullets.
You get SUPER results and accuracy. Life is good. 8)
You're seating to the lands.
Next thing you know, the throat has worn, you can't reach the lands to jam, not enough bullet to case neck contact, the accuracy has gone into the toilet and you're not a happy camper anymore. :(

Short throat chamber gives you longer shooting time with your prefered bullet before you have to go to longer bullets to reach the lands and get the same results. (been there, done that!!)
Plan ahead. Get a shorter throat chamber from the start. JMHO, Mike.

I agree.

But better still is to throat to kiss the lands with your desired bullet at a length which functions through your magazine.
This option may not be available with prefit barrels and is one of the reasons I prefer to chamber a barrel myself rather than accept a generic prefit chamber.

stinkitup
06-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Swedes aren't fussy, my old mauser's throat is way out there, no chance for the 100gr to get even close. Even 140gr match projectiles are hanging out the front but they still shoot fine. I mostly shoot 100's with a jump and all good.

Ryan

Blue Avenger
06-20-2012, 08:35 AM
The originals swedes were long throats and long seated and really would shoot 1"@100 yards. Swiss ammo would not fit a us gun in the 1980s