PDA

View Full Version : .338 Edge Build

deerslayer13
06-14-2012, 01:11 PM
Hey Guys,

I would like to build a .338 edge/ .243 switch barrel. I will use the .243 for coyotes and other varmints, so I would like it to be a repeater for the .243 only. The edge will be used for the big game/ long range targets. So here's my questions:
1. Should I go with a savage short or long action?
2. Which custom barrel maker would you recommend?
3. What is involved besides bolt face and head spacing to change the barrels back and forth?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

ellobo
06-14-2012, 04:39 PM
No.1 Short action
no.2 Take your pick, they are all excellent.
no.3 I assume you have an action wrench and barrel nut wrench as well as go and no-go guages. After swap rezero is necessary. Other
than that I think you have it covered.

El Lobo

deerslayer13
06-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the response El lobo.

Stockrex
06-14-2012, 08:09 PM
300 RUM is the parent case so you need a .540 bolt face
Sinman (supporting vendor) list a reamer in 338 edge
x2 on what ellobo said.

bootsmcguire
06-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Assuming that whatever stock you want for this is available in Long and Short actions I would go with the Long Action, that way you can remove unfired 338 Edge rounds without having to remove the bolt. Also, Magnum Push-feed bolt faces are easier to find for a long action.

Since you are running the EDGE as a Single-Shot and the 243 as a repeater, one of the older Long Actions thats cut for a Short Action Magazine may be the perfect ticket.

deerslayer13
06-14-2012, 10:11 PM
If removing an unfired round isn't a big deal to me, would you still suggest a long action, because I know it would be a lot easier to make the short action a repeater. Also, can't I get a magnum push feed bolt face for a short action?

bootsmcguire
06-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Yes you can get a Push-Feed bolt face for a SA, but harder to find. I have been watching for one for awhile here and have yet to see one come across the classifieds. Plenty of the CRF versions though. There are Long actions that have short action magazines, and repeaters of 308 class cartridges (including 243) feed great from Long action Center-feed 30-06 class magazines, just keep the round up against the back of the long mag when loading and thats about it. I also like the Center-feed magazines in the long action for shooting single shot, just set the round on top of the feed lips and close the bolt. I am running my 223 WSSM in a Long action with a 300WM Center-feed mag and it works great and WSSM's are a pain to get to feed.

Only down side to a Long action is certain models of stocks are not available. Many stocks are. I have been doing all my latest builds on Long actions so that way i don't limit myself for changes down the road. The long action is also easier to load a blind magazine due to the added room in the action opening.

dcompton
06-14-2012, 10:40 PM
You could get a bottom metal set-up for a LA for the .243 and then just get the extended bolt baffle ($12-$20) to reduce the throw on the LA bolt. That way you could have the best of both worlds. My .338 Edge project is using a barrel by 4D reamers. If I recall, my 28" barrel was $310 shipped in the white. Great folks to deal with. I actually made my Edge a mag fed repeater, so feel free to ask any questions. I'm far from an expert, but the Edge has been my latest project for the past year and a half...one part at a time.

DC

nwkman
06-14-2012, 11:45 PM
I got a bolt head from SSS for SA mag!

deerslayer13
06-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Dcompton, what were the specs on your build, action wise and stock? Also thanks for all the replies guys.

dcompton
06-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Well let me start by saying I am one cheap bastard. That's partly why this project has taken so long. The most expensive part of my build was the barrel. I usually go for functionality and what will suit my needs rather than what's the most expensive thing I can use simply to look cool at the range. With that disclaimer out of the way, here's my list.

110 flat back LA receiver $225
4D reamer barrel - It's a Savage bull profile small shank $310
Ross Schuler Brake - I think Ross charged me $65
Accurate Mag 3.850 bottom metal set-up $149
Accurate Mag 300 series magazine $80
Hogue overmold 110 LA stock - DBM version $110
Savage 110 BA bolt handle (okay this one was to look cool) $79
Duracoat shake N spray kit (worked awesome by the way. I liked it better than spraying it with a gun) $30
I'm in the rifle for about $1100 after all the miscellaneous bits. Not too shabby I think.

Some caveats you should be aware of...
I threaded the muzzle for my brake myself. I count that as no charge.
Also, to mag feed that beast at optimum OAL's you need to machine the rear area of the receiver's mag opening. Along with this, you will need to machine the bolt baffle to allow for the now needed longer stroke of the bolt. It wasn't really difficult machine work just took some set-up time.
The other issue is the magazines. Accurate mag has 338LM and 300WM magazines. They have a different shoulder than the Edge...much shorter. So, you have to mill out the shoulder retention indentations to get the Edge rounds to fit. A little Black Gorilla tape to cover the openings to keep out the dirt and muck and you are GTG.
As soon as I get it all assembled from it's Duracoat spa treatment, I'll try and get you some pictures.

Dan

deerslayer13
06-17-2012, 02:13 AM
Alright guys, I think I'm going to go with the la because it will be easier to convert to the smaller round. Do you guys have any recomendations for stocks?

ellobo
06-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Boyds.

El Lobo