PDA

View Full Version : bead blasting and painting question

GUNFANATIC
12-07-2009, 08:43 PM
A friend of mine posted this a few posts down under "Black Friday Deals".

Stex25_06
Basic User

Re: Stevens black friday deal!
« Reply #6 on: Today at 04:55:18 PM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I could use your help. I picked up one of the Academy Stevens 200 in .270 and it has a tan stock. I'd like to duracoat the barrel and receiver in the same color tan. Does anyone have a suggestion on which duracoat color would most closely match that stock?

Thanks!

He's planning to have the barrelled action bead blasted before painting it. What we aren't sure of is what kind of prep work need to be done first? Those of you who've done it before, do you just blast it all with the bolt in place, or does anything need to be taped up first? My concern is the raceway. Don't want that to be gritty when finished. Help us out here.

JCalhoun
12-07-2009, 10:44 PM
The folks who do mine take everything apart. They blast the receiver and barrel as one piece by putting plugs in the muzzle and chamber. The other parts go into a small parts bin for blasting. The only things that don't get blasted are the trigger parts and bolt head.

They also make sure the metal is completely clean before applying the Duracoat.

You will also need a bunch of wire hangers to hold all the parts.

GUNFANATIC
12-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks. We've used duracoat before, so we're clear with how to apply it. My real concern was how to go about bead balasting. What about the raceway? Are you saying they blast that to? Don't we need to tape that up?

If I understand you correctly, you disassemble the bolt and blast the bolt body, handle and rear baffle?

usngunner
12-08-2009, 02:34 AM
DO NOT BEAD BLAST THE PARTS!

LCW recommends either 100 or 120 grit (I have both) aluminum oxide as the blast media.

Bead blasting "polishes" the surface vice roughing it up for the duracoat to grab to.

As to the raceways, I plug the barrel with foam earplugs and the receiver with foam pipe insulation. Then I go from there.

laportecharlie
12-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Good to hear from you again Vince.
Charlie

GUNFANATIC
12-08-2009, 02:00 PM
DO NOT BEAD BLAST THE PARTS!

LCW recommends either 100 or 120 grit (I have both) aluminum oxide as the blast media.

Bead blasting "polishes" the surface vice roughing it up for the duracoat to grab to.

As to the raceways, I plug the barrel with foam earplugs and the receiver with foam pipe insulation. Then I go from there.

Excellent advice. Thanks

Stex25_06
12-08-2009, 07:42 PM
I agree, excellent info on the bead blasting and how to go about it. :) Any suggestions from those who might have bought the Stevens 200 from Academy on what color the stock might be. Tan, marsh, woodland tan, desert tan?

I'm hoping to match the stock color to a Duracoat color: http://www.lauerweaponry.com/duracoatcolors.cfm?colortype=stock&Category=220

Any thoughts? Thanks.

usngunner
12-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Good to hear from you again Vince.
Charlie

Thanks buddy. You too. I've been popping back in a bit more often lately.