PDA

View Full Version : Bullets touching lands?

Pages : 1 [2]

Trent
06-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Thank you Grit John FWIW I tried that same load this morning 2 rounds is all with the bullet jamed into
the rifleing.First shot hole in Primer,second blown primer----Two shots with the bullet about ..099 off the lands...No sign of pressure at all....So tell me what caused it? John

Too much powder for a bullet touching the lands!!!!!!!!!

Nobody is arguing that a jammed bullet will generally create higher pressures than a jumped bullet (certain exclusions apply). What folks are saying is that YOU have to account for it. Jeesh!

Trent
06-14-2012, 11:54 AM
I think there is some confusion in this thread.

Ben Franklin, you are arguing that jammed bullets will CAUSE over pressures.

Everyone else is arguing that you MUST account for this in your reloading process.

The jammed bullet doesn't CAUSE the over pressure... using too much powder for a jammed bullet is the cause of the over pressure.

keeki
06-14-2012, 12:03 PM
too much powder caused it. theres 6 major pieces of criteria involved in reloading a cartridge. 1. type of bullet. 2.type of powder. 3. volume of brass. 4. type of primer. 5. amount of powder. 6. OAL

If any of these 6 things are changed, the recipe also changes.
hodgdons book says 35.5gr of H4895 is max, if your 1. using 55grvmax. 2. Using H4895. 3. using Winchester brass. 4. using WLR primers. 5. 35.5gr of powder. 6. maximum OAL of 2.350".

If either of these are changed, so could your max charge of 35.5gr of H4895.

There is no explosive devises in a 55gr vmax bullet (I know this for I have loaded thousands of them). This being said, you can seat that bullet anywhere you want to and it will NOT pop a primer. However, if you put too much powder behind it, it will pop one. You changed your OAL, so you must also change your max charge. If you went to a different primer, you may also have to change your max charge. If you use different brass you may have to change your max charge. Neck tension alone will change your max charge.
But jamming that BULLET in the lands will NOT pop a primer

daniel brothers
06-14-2012, 11:46 PM
very interesting stuff...

leo158
06-15-2012, 07:07 AM
very interesting stuff...

+1

benfranklin
06-15-2012, 07:24 AM
Now thateveryone is finished bashing me,etc..

Al loads were done to prove a point..

You should never tell anyone NOTHING WILL HAPPEN...
It is like telling somebody the dog don't bite....All dogs will bite...

So please do not tell,things you do not know about....

So you all have a wonderful week end and be safe....John :P :P :P :P