PDA

View Full Version : hidden bolt release ?'s

logic factory
06-12-2012, 11:16 PM
i would imagine i am not the only one who has thought about hiding their bolt release. if anyone would like to share some images or thoughts there is a chance i could benefit from them.

mattri
06-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Not to be obtuse but what would be the point of doing this?

Opus Dei
06-13-2012, 07:42 PM
I'd be guessing, but No, you probably are the only one wanting to conceal a bolt release. That said, it's pretty hard to top a Remington 700 for a unobtrusive bolt release, if you're looking for inspiration.

logic factory
06-13-2012, 08:17 PM
why? i enjoy the challenge to clean up the appearance of things. i do not think it is used enough to justify the convenient/eye sore location. i have my solution set in stone and will put the blueprints into action (pun intended) in the coming weeks. this solution also allows me to make a simpler barrel channel with the top line remaining straight till the bolt channel. again, the theme is having clean simple sharp masculine lines to encourage one to look at the whole piece rather than focus on bulls eye type features; e.g. bolt release, excess channels. the end goal is a unique work of art in both form with little loss to function.

cgeorgemo
06-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Well I believe Savage also looked at the rifles and thought about hiding the bolt release. So they did...

Gmac5
06-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Savage bolt release serves 2 purposes,u can feel if its cocked or not ,kinda important.function trumps pretty
Gary

logic factory
06-13-2012, 09:33 PM
i will now try to make a revision; thank you gmac5.

cgeorgemo, which action are you referring to so i can look up some images?

5Wire
06-13-2012, 09:33 PM
The newer Accustock models obscure the bolt release.

logic factory
06-13-2012, 10:44 PM
might have been nice if i would have asked sooner and you guys/girls could have saved me an hour or so of thinking. my solution is similar to the accustock models i just looked at(thanks 5wire). having said that, i enjoyed tasking my brain for a solution to what i viewed as a problem.

VjjR
06-13-2012, 11:43 PM
I have a new bolt release model. Hate it. Going to do something to it

ellobo
06-14-2012, 12:18 AM
might have been nice if i would have asked sooner and you guys/girls could have saved me an hour or so of thinking. my solution is similar to the accustock models i just looked at(thanks 5wire). having said that, i enjoyed tasking my brain for a solution to what i viewed as a problem.

nothing wrong with imagineering. As Ben Franklin once said "I am not a failure, I have just found 10,000 ways how not to do something" to which I add, hey, maybe the 10,001st way may work and revolutionize everthing. I think Eugene Stoner, John Browning, Kalashnikov, Savage, Remington and others tried a lot of things before they got it right.

El Lobo

logic factory
06-14-2012, 09:27 AM
ellobo
i will insert an obligatory, "thank you" as i do not know your specific intentions.

this next part may be perceived as insulting to your intelligence; this is not my intention but rather show that my decision is far from whimsical.

if i take your post cynically, i offer the following in response. i often look for the compromises in life, as i understand all decisions are compromises on some level. after the bolt release location on my rifle started to bother me i started to think; why was it placed in that position rather than others? depending upon how i rationally answered the aforementioned question would dictate if i was able to "improve" the idea or learn to live with it. i believe the explanation may rest in one or some of the following explanations.

cost is a large compromise that factors into most business models. having said that, i would imagine the cost to produce the part i have envisioned would increase over what is currently used. another large reason is most people are not as concerned with form and function as i am. why would engineers improve something that the target demographic often cares less about? staying on the target audience for another consideration; most people want a simple convenient solution; i.e. one that is simple to understand and see. having a hidden bolt release would likely provoke many questions; i.e. savage could spend their time more efficiently. part of the responsibility with assuming the roll of being more intelligent is trying to prevent problems from ever presenting themselves and being prepared to take a hit on any issues as you should have had the prudence to prevent it. in savage's eyes, if the previous explanations are fair than they would be fixing a problem that many never saw. this is not to say their solution is the best and is why i am modifying my rifle. my solution is not as convenient as the current one on my rifle but im not sure that convenience is worth the aesthetic burden it pays.

it is difficult to interpret some things over the internet. i have also been asked the question why by many i have discussed these plans with so i apologize for using your post to finally break down my thought process. take care and thank you for creating an opportunity for me to explain myself in some detail.

handirifle
06-14-2012, 01:11 PM
logic
I don't think your ideas are off base at all, in fact, if you think about it, the folks a Savage either thought that way themselves, or others said it to them.

There is no way they would have gone through the expense of moving and redesigning the release if it did not fit one or maybe both criteria. The customers have been asking for it, and it can be made cost effectively.

Even the barrel nut, is going back to a smooth nut. Yes BACK, I have an old J series that used to have a smooth nut on it. That was factory, I know cause I bought it new in 1973. It has a standard nut now cause I prefer that, but some people are offended by a nut on the barrel, but personally, a rifle is a tool, and pretty tools do not get used much. I do not try to destroy, or even scratch my rifles, but it happens. As long as they still function like they are supposed to, I am not worried about appearance. I do not let them rust, or go without being repaired, just saying I am not a purist.

I have an inherited Winchester 375 leveraction that I will not modify, but that rifle is an exception. I also have a Centenial 66, gold plated model 94 leveraction, that I am considering removing the plating from. Why? Cause as a collectable, it's worth no more than a std model, but it is a little gawdy to take to the range.

But that's just me.

Hey, you like em clean, smooth and purty, go for it. Heck, you might just re-invent Savages wheel, and they might ask permission to use YOUR new mod, next time around.

No one here means anything offensive, when they ask why, it is just sometime hard to wrap our minds around other folks ideas. Heck, I just made a post on a thread where a guy wants to make a long range rifle from a 7mm SUAM and I made a comment about brass availability and 6.5's being a more popular long range bullet. He seeming thought I was rude and somehow deleted my post. ??? Wasn't meant to be rude, just posted what so many others have been repeating here. To each their own.

Make the mod and post pics.

I've posted some pretty lame ideas before and spent a LOT of hours coming up with them, and most folks are still nice to me! ;D

ellobo
06-14-2012, 01:58 PM
You have it right Handirifle. What I wrote was not to denegrate his hidden bolt release idea but to point out that without guys like him who actualy think, not much would get done, especialy needed improvements. How about Fred Moreo and his ideas about the tooling to improve fuction of bolt lug lockup and T&T of a Savage action. As a former manufacturing engineer I know what it took in the way of thinking, planning and experimenting to make it happen. Too bad Savage won't make a deal with Fred to improve thier rifles function. They almost did once apon a time. So Mr. Logic Factory, keep doing what you do and never let your enthusiasum go away. The world needs more guys like you.

El Lobo

logic factory
06-14-2012, 03:11 PM
handirifle
thank you for your post. i happen to like the non smooth nut for the edges it has. even though i could imagine a smooth nut could compliment the look i am going for too. what helps me follow through on most of the modifications i want to do is how easy it is to make with what resources i have; i.e. use as much of the original piece i can. case in point, i will be welding some metal onto the current bolt release bracket and will likely have to file the joining surfaces down to create a little better look as my welding skills lack. i do have 3d cad software and with time could manufacture a new pretty piece but i can not justify this endevour on a piece that most will never see. this welded addition will head back towards the back trigger guard screw hole. i am thinking about having some sort of depressable button that will indicate whether the firing pin is cocked or not. the difficulty is trying to keep this depressable button idea as low profile as possible. this part of the project is still on the drawing board.

ill think about this button idea a little more than i will ask for additional critique on the proposed plan before i put it into action. plus this will give others an opportunity if they see some promise to change some or all of what i have planned.

i was able to see your post and i could see why the op took exception to your post. this is not to say either of you were out of line but to show that we all have a perspective and sometimes they do not coincide with one another.

ellobo
thank you for not taking exception to what i responded. i did not know i was preaching to the choir if i did not display more tact in my response it could have provoked a negative response from you based on your manufacturing engineering experience. i will try and tap into that experience soon. my enthusiasm will likely be around for a long time but i need to continue to improve upon my fabrication skills and mechanical engineering understanding to promote better solutions.
thank you again for the feedback and i will have something i would like your opinion on in the coming weeks.

ellobo
06-14-2012, 08:37 PM
I am only about 100 miles north of you if you are in northern Conn., Nashua. What I can tell you about is materials, manufacturing methods (lathes, drills, milling machines, sheet metal, and other related machinery and heat treating) and what you may have at home to make parts etc. I hope you can do marvelous things with files of various type and hand tools. Try cutting a dovetail with a hacksaw and a cold chisel and triangular file. On a barrel and the mating part. It will get your "Oh my God" factor to the ten level as well as the misery index. Or drilling a 44 inch long ramrod hole. If you screw up on a $300 pc of stock wood you will contemplate suicide. If succesful you can pour a double shot of single malt and relax, for about three days till your nerves settle down. Contact me at any time. I have a few spare pills :D

El Lobo