PDA

View Full Version : Homemade no go adapter for go gauge.

thomae
06-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Here's a trial balloon I'd like to float.
What say all of you?

- Purchase a go gauge from a reputable manufacturer.
- Look at the Saami spec diagrams available on the web, and determine the difference in size between max and min headspace dimensions. (for a lot of calibers it is .01")
- Take a feeler gauge of that thickness and draw a circle using the base of the go gauge as a template.
- Cut the feeler gauge and using a power sander with fine sandpaper, grind the edge down until it is a circle the same size as the end of the feeler gauge.
- Stone the feeler gauge to remove the burr on the edges from cutting and sanding.
- Put a dab of thin oil on the end of the go gauge and the feeler gauge will stick right on and then you can use that as a calibrated no-go gauge.
- Don't use too much oil or too thick of an oil or you will end up with a measurable thickness of oil that will make your gauge too long.[/list]

It takes about 5 minutes to fashion one using a 1" belt sander. Since I am using feeler gauge stock and can measure it before and after, there is less chance of error than with tape.

Ok, guys, what's the downside? What am I overlooking?

drybean
06-12-2012, 08:05 PM
tape is cheaper& a roll will last a life time

drybean

leatherlunger
06-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Ill second the tape method. its worked for me

brtelec
06-13-2012, 02:06 AM
I use tape. But the anal retentive tinkering is half the fun of this hobby. I definitely get it.

rjtfroggy
06-13-2012, 06:27 AM
Thomae from reading several of your " IDEAS " I believe you have way too much down time.
Why make things difficult when 3M makes it so easy.

thomae
06-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Thomae from reading several of your " IDEAS " I believe you have way too much down time.
Why make things difficult when 3M makes it so easy.

... the anal retentive tinkering is half the fun of this hobby. I definitely get it.
+1 to that!

FWIW: I have nothing against 3M. (In fact, I use their tape on a regular basis and just happen to own a little bit of the company.)

I also happen to own a lot of .005 feeler gauge stock.
That got me to thinking, and that, to paraphrase rjtfroggy, is what gets me into trouble.
;D ::) ;D ::)

6mmBR_Shooter
06-16-2012, 09:25 AM
It's easier to pay the $25 for the no-go gauge, but the costs start to add up quickly as you start to add other barrels to the safe.

Uncle Jack
06-16-2012, 09:39 AM
I have never found any SAMII specs for cellophane tape.

uj

sharpshooter
06-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Plasti-gage will tell you exactly how much clearance you have. No "feel" to it.

WYcoyote
06-17-2012, 12:08 PM
I used a piece of 0.002" stainless steel shim stock.
But it is available easily to me because we have it at work.

BobT
06-22-2012, 02:27 PM
The sticky part of a Post-it note measures about .0042. that is normally what I use. It will compress a little though. I typically like to shoot for around .003 headspace. If I don't have a Post-it handy then I use Scotch tape too.

Bob

efm77
06-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Yeah it may add up with a lot of calibers but I'll stick to having both a "go" and "no go" gauge. It's just not worth the risk to me. The gauges aren't expensive enough for me to justify taking the risk of short cutting it with tape, post it note, etc.