PDA

View Full Version : 110FCP 338 Lapua loose stock

fastfire
06-11-2012, 08:37 PM
I checked the stock and scope rail screws when new.
Within 30 shots the scope rail screws were loose and then cleaned and lock tighted them (blue).
Yesterday,the magazine would fall out when I shot, then when I closed the bolt the trigger locked up.
Then when I picked up the rifle I felt the loose stock.
All tightened and lock tighted and the magazine still falls out when shot.
What to do? >:(

SHL540KB308
06-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Check and make sure the recoil lug is makeing contact like it should. Loose action screws after firing usually indicate a problem in this area and can cause fault with both the trigger and magazine. Most likely your scope base (if your using the one that came on the gun) is very soft material and will always give you problems. Check to see if your rings are riding up on the base slots. Replaceing with a steel unit will solve this.

Later, Brad

jwv113
08-13-2012, 04:05 PM
MY rail also cam loos after around 150 rounds. I was pretty disapointed and called Savage customer service today. Not helpful. the guy sugested I tighten the rail screws. When I asked how much he told me 2 inch pounds. Thant cant be right can it? I would have guessed around 30 inch pounds. (its a 338LM)

twocan
11-28-2012, 08:38 PM
I checked the stock and scope rail screws when new.
Within 30 shots the scope rail screws were loose and then cleaned and lock tighted them (blue).
Yesterday,the magazine would fall out when I shot, then when I closed the bolt the trigger locked up.
Then when I picked up the rifle I felt the loose stock.
All tightened and lock tighted and the magazine still falls out when shot.
What to do? >:(

Be sure that you tighten the two large screws on the action to 65 in-lbs in the correct sequence.

Donnie at H-S Precision recommends the following:

Stand the rifle on its but plate with the barrel up
Tighten the forward bolt to 45 in-lbs to seat the recoil lug, then tighten the middle bolt to 45 in-lbs
Then go back to the forward bolt and tighten to 65 in-lbs and the middle one to 65 in-lbs

Tighten the smaller bolt only hand tight as it only goes into the stock and not the action.

Capt. Art