PDA

View Full Version : Should the accustock 'bed' against one side of the barrel nut?

MZ5
06-08-2012, 11:27 PM
I think the answer is pretty obviously "no," but thought I'd ask. I picked up a new Model 10 Predator Hunter today in 6.5 Creedmoor. Pulled the action out of the stock to make sure all was clean, rust-free, etc. It is, but the aluminum channel section in the stock is very clearly pushing on the barrel nut, but only on 1 side. Just wondered whether anyone here has noticed this issue, and what, if anything, you did about it. I am unlikely to be able to get to the range until next week some time, as I'm helping some people get moved to and set up in a new house. Thanks.

Axtell3
06-09-2012, 05:27 AM
My rail is straight in the 223 I have. I'd suspect it will end up warrentied.

northlander
06-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Savage has some issues with their factory recoil lugs. Several are bent slightly from their manufacturing process. This may be the case with your new rifle. If your lug has enough bend in the right spot your action can be off center.

Jim Briggs
NSS

darkker
06-11-2012, 06:00 PM
In the Savages that I have rebarreled, I haven't noticed any significant issues with the recoil lugs.
I HAVE seen several issues, with the supremely crappy synthetic stocks that they are shlepping out the door.
Who knows, but it wouldn't surprise me if the stock is the issue, not formed correctly.

MZ5
06-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Hmm...
Well, at the moment I'm thinking more about the rather amazing amount of copper being left in the barrel upon firing just a box of ammo. I guess we'll see whether she starts to slick up pretty soon or not. If not, maybe I'll offer to let one of you all take it off my hands...

MZ5
06-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Went out again the other day and shot another box (actually, 24 rds) of Hornady ammo. I was running a box test on the cheapie Tasco Varmint scope, which it passed perfectly. However, the gun wanted very much to string the shots rather than group them, and the copper fouling is very significant.

2 questions:

1) Would you sand a bit off the aluminum channel in order to eliminate the push on one side of the barrel nut?
2) How many rounds are current-production Savage barrels taking to clean up and stop stripping copper from the jackets so badly?