PDA

View Full Version : New Bell and Carlson stock and accuracy gone to hell now ?

benfranklin
06-08-2012, 05:20 PM
I have a Savage mod.10 Predator rifle..I just gor a Bell and Carlson
stock for it to shoot in F class...The action seemed to fit perfict.
I snugged up the screws,but not very tight..Went to the range
this afternoon with 3 different loads that seemed to be pretty
accurate in the rifle with the factory stock...Shooting at 250
yards I was lucky to be on paper..

Is there something that I did wrong here or didn't do? I figured
the point of impact would have change,but I did not expect
a shot gun patteren from it...Any advice? Thanks John

mattri
06-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Have you checked to make sure the barrel channel is clear- not touching anywhere?

benfranklin
06-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Have you checked to make sure the barrel channel is clear- not touching anywhere?

Yes I can slide a piece of paper all the way down..Nothing is touching in the channel..Thanks

I am thinking it just might be the screw tention..? I am sure it is something simple...

jhelmuth
06-08-2012, 06:00 PM
At the risk of sounding like an idiot...

> What caliber/cartridge? Is everything "identical" other than the stock swap? (I'm assuming you had the optics set up for that range and exactly the same as before the stock swap?)

> Have you verified that the rear action tang is not touching the stock? (It MUST be floating - just like the barrel)

I keep thinking on this - but that is what comes to mind.....

All the best,

Jim

benfranklin
06-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Jim,
Yes every thing was the same as far as scope goes and ammo.

22-250 cal== I checked the tang and it did look like it was touching
so I sanded a bit out of there..I am going to try a few in the morning.

Maybe I should take a piece of sand paper with me in case..

Thanks for the info. about the tang...I guess I can report more
after the range test tomorrow. John

rusty815
06-08-2012, 08:42 PM
I snugged up the screws,but not very tight..

Are you referring to the action screws? If you didn't tighten them enough, it could explain why you are having so much accuracy trouble.

jpdown
06-08-2012, 09:00 PM
If it does not improve after you tighten up the action screws and barrel and tang are free floated, I would bed the recoil lug. It might not be resting tight against the rear of the stock cutout which would explain the wild groups.

benfranklin
06-09-2012, 06:28 AM
[quote=jpdown ]
If it does not improve after you tighten up the action screws and barrel and tang are free floated, I would bed the recoil lug. It might not be resting tight against the rear of the stock cutout which would explain the wild groups.
[/quo

Thought about the recoil lug as well.....I am not sure what is ment when
I read tighten up the action screws..I was always told they should only
be snugged up not torqued down...

But it is raining this morning so I doubt there will be any range time
today...Maybe later....Thanks for the ideas on what to look for or do...John

seanhagerty
06-09-2012, 08:10 AM
I torque my action screws to 45 in-lbs.

keeki
06-09-2012, 08:17 AM
snug your action screws to about 5 inlbs, then smack the butt of your stock on the ground to make sure the recoil lug is set back. Tighten in about 10 inlb increments starting with the front action screw until you reach 45-50inlbs. If your accuracy is not back, loosen the rear action screw in 5inlb increments between groups until your accuracy is

benfranklin
06-09-2012, 11:41 AM
got to the range after all...After floating the tangthings come together..
Shooting like it did befor..At 250 yards 20 shots in 1 1/2 group..So I am happy now..

Thanks for your suggestions and replies...John

frank1947
06-21-2012, 09:22 AM
do you self a big favor and bed the recoil lug and dont tape it, just use plenty of release agent, that will tighten it all up real nice.

CharlieNC
06-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Or the BOTTOM of the recoil lug could be touching; be sure you have clearance there.

sniper15545
06-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Make sure the tang area is free floated. If there is contact ie pressure on the tang this will cause accuracy issues such as yours.

frank1947
06-22-2012, 05:05 PM
I am sure glad you brought up free floating the tang, this is something I have been meaning to discuss, I bed all my savages 6 of them and one Rem 700, most of my attention is to the recoil lug if you have movement there you will have movement elsewhere, but I do not get the idea of FF the tang, surely if things are tight in front then what can the tang area have anything to do with it, if you were to glue the action into the stock you are guaranteed no movement so shot to shot will be the same that is the whole idea, so what does the tang have to do with anything other then a Rem 700 where there is a pillar to support the action at the tang, I don't get it.

Can someone explain this?

airaddict
06-23-2012, 08:14 AM
I never understood the tang thing either with savages. I had our club gunsmith bed a savage for me and he bedded the tang not knowing this since he was so used to remingtons......i had to go back and chip the little bit he put in there out so it would free float. So when i bedded my first....i put three pcs of blue tape to freefloat it and it came out really nice and now shoots bug holes all day! Crazy savages and their quirks......just like their owners!

Brian