PDA

View Full Version : My first rebuild of a factory savage

Gene R
06-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Hello all,
Well, I think it's time to share my first build I'm doing now. I started out lurking for a while, then I joined when I decided to get seriuos about the rebuilding of my 110. Since I absorbed all the info everyone else put in threads and replies. It just seems right.
I started with a110 savage, SF, Blind mag, 22" 270win syn stocked, blued. I bought for my Father back in 99 or so for his birthday. He has since pasted in 02. Well, the gun came back to me and has sat in the safe since. Reason being I was raised on the 270win in the hardwoods of PA chasing whitetails and bears and had multiple rifles in 270win and 270wsm already. So after some thought and getting bit by the long range bug I thought Hey, " what about a 270wby w/ a 9 twist"? As I realized 270wby was missing from my collection, I had memory comeback as a young boy sitting at the reloading bench with Dad and him telling me back in the 70's about 270wby, while looking through the Hornady Manual. After Dad showed me the increase in fps and ballistic table in back I inquired, "why don't ya shoot that"? His response was something along the lines of not on what George Westinghouse pays(those from Western Pa probably remember when there were Mills that were in USA). Anyway Here Is my tribute build to my old man. The 270wby he never did get, But his youngest Grandson will when he's ready for it. I guess It's just fitting since Fathers day is coming up and reminds ya they won't be around forever.

My parts for Build:
*Mag bolt head
*Firing pin
*B&C stock
*JB for bedding
*Turbo bolt handle and trigger spring (mine must of sprung into another dimension when it left the trigger group ::)) from MScott (Great guy, very helpful)
*Heavy duty lug from NSS not here yet, Saturday it will be. ( Jim Briggs another good guy and wealth of info)
*Douglas 26" 1-9 twist #5 straight taper to .7 plus a Harold brake. (for the high BC. Bergers coming and the Matrix that are out)
*EGW 20MOA base
*Weaver 4 screw tact rings
*Vortex Viper PA 6.5x20 mildot Capped turrets.
*6-9" bipod
*Midway Padded cheek rest

Here we have what's cooking while wife is at work today. Dura coat spray and bake in Coyote tan, degreased and prepped steel and degreased again. Everything but springs bolt head and firing pin and barrel(barrel was in second batch) here parts are baking. SHH don't tell mrs.
http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/lazyjchessies/2012-06-07_14-33-09_209.jpg
Yummy Baked rifle w/ a side of fumes.

Tommorrow some bolt assembly and more pics.
Thanks for looking in on my build, comments welcome.

Gene

JackinSD
06-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Always nice to have a sentimental reason for a choice of caliber. Good luck and I hope you end up with a shooter.

stomp442
06-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Looks good so far. Sounds like its going to be a special rig when its done.

Tnslim
06-08-2012, 02:26 AM
So, when the cornbread comes out tasting like Duracoat.... ::). Very nice looking work you've done.

Gene R
06-08-2012, 12:16 PM
No corn bread but I did make Braised St louis ribs after for BBQ'n ;D Thanks for replies Guys.

Here is what I did this morning. Assembled bolt, Triggger and tested all threads on Action bolts, scope rail, and barrel Nut. All was good. Just as "you tube" videos of appling Duracote showed it didn't fill threads w/paint. The only part that I had a less than perfect paint surface was the Safety side. I was unsure of removing the allen screw and the flathead that holds the clip in place. Unforutantly oils leached out of them two screws and kind discolored the paint. But it's out of sight in the trigger assemble.

Before test fitting and assembly.

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/lazyjchessies/2012-06-08_08-11-47_864.jpg

And here we have the assembled bolt, trigger atttached and Rail fitting. I can't get the damn thing rotated, sorry.

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/lazyjchessies/2012-06-08_08-49-46_306.jpg
My question now for you all is, Should I Bed (Devcon) the Rail to the action? I'm thinking yes, because the tolerences/milling of EGW rail probably isn't as close as a Badger or Night force rail.That way I'm not torquing the rail to get it flush to the reciever. Any imput?

Lug should be here tomorrow according to message on phone from NSS, thanks, Jim. So, I'm thinking prep, paint and bake lug tommorrow. Sunday, Headspce and bed. Monday, Lap, level and bore sight And Tuesday start break in.

Gene

pitsnipe
06-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Should I Bed (Devcon)

I just installed a 20 MOA EGW on my mdl 10. And it was @ 7.5 thousandths off (front end of receiver being higher) Or, the base was off. Either way, it needed shimming/bedding to lay perfectly flat. I shimmed it (vs bedding) due to that low tolerance (under 10 thousndths).
Good luck.

mscott71
06-23-2012, 07:57 AM
I always test fit the bases before painting and lap them to the action if necessary. You just clamp the action in a vise, put a couple dabs of valve grinding compound on the top of the receiver, and work it back and forth until you get 90% contact or so. It only takes about 15 minutes or so. I also install the base before painting to ensure as tight of a connection as possible. I'm not saying your method is bad ...... just offering up my ideas.

Gene R
06-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Well, I had alittle set back. With my hvy lug I didn't have enough thread for headspacing. So, I called Douglas and explained problem.They were super helpful and egar to fix problem for me. Shipped last Friday back Wednesday! I had already Duracoted and was worried that with milling some more threads they might scratch barrel. They said we'll do everything we can to keep that from happening. They did, just anice as when it left my possesion.
Okay, back on track now.

Devcon bedded action. First action I've done. I didn't want to screw up and have action bonded to stock so i only used a little at a time till I got it fully bedded and looking good. I cleaned up most of excess w/dremel then painted. Seems to contact action well and lug is snug when seated.

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/lazyjchessies/2012-06-22_10-15-29_366.jpg

I forgot to take pic of headspacing and action/barrel blocks I made. oh well it's pretty much covered elsewhere in forum. I used oak blocks and big vise and Jim Briggs barrel nut wrench and torque wrench.

Here it is.
http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/lazyjchessies/2012-06-22_11-09-25_450.jpg

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/lazyjchessies/2012-06-22_11-10-15_424.jpg

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/lazyjchessies/2012-06-22_11-10-35_204.jpg

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/lazyjchessies/2012-06-22_11-09-38_870.jpg

Here are some of the groups I shot yesterday while breaking in the barrel. I think it has some promise ;D

These were just to get zero'd on paper @ 100yds. Cleaned the barrel after every shot for fisrt 25 shots.

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/lazyjchessies/2012-06-22_14-43-01_565.jpg

This is the best load so far, but these are just to fire form the 7mm mag brass to 270wby. They're mild at 3100 to 3200 with imr4064 using ,130's 135's and 140's
140gr ballistic tips below.Left group is at 200yds, right group is @100yds
http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/lazyjchessies/2012-06-22_15-40-08_289.jpg
This was factory wby loads 130gr. barnes from my buddy ammo supply. I had 5, one to foul then 4 shot group, not bad for factory. Also with the full tilt Factory loads this thing is a ***** cat to shoot. I'd compare it to my 25-06!
http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab320/lazyjchessies/2012-06-22_16-32-06_555.jpg
I have a couple more groups from other bullets I shot that group them same as above. And didn't want to bore ya anymore.

All in all very, very happy with build!
Thanks to all for sharing your wisdom on this site to make this build possible. When my son grows into this rifle I think he'll enjoy the story behind it.

Gene

wab
06-23-2012, 08:34 AM
You have done a great job on the build.

Enjoy shooting it!

fgw_in_fla
06-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Real nice job Gene. PM your address to me so I can send mine over to you to work on. Very nice on the paint work. If my 'ol lady came home & saw rifle parts in the oven, the next pic you'd see would of her stuffing me in the oven.

Ya know, you guys that know how to paint real well need to work wth us guys that suck at it. I'm sure I have some skill I can trade you.... Come by & wash your car? I do windows, ya know....

Very nicely done. I see you're a fan of the Weaver Slots or "skelton" rings. I have them on 2 of mine.

Enjoy it.

Frank in Fla

Leonardo63
06-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Very nice job! When I was a kid the Weatherby was top of the hill. I have a vivid memory of a friend of my dad's who brought a Wby out to the farm to sight it in. First shot and the scope laid his face open like a fillet- I was probably 7 or 8 at the time but was hurried into the house while they took him to the hospital. I just remember seeing his gun on the picnic table and everything covered in blood. So from that point on the mere mention of "Weatherby" scared the p out of me. I remember my dad mumbling something about an elephant gun isn't needed to kill a deer. It was a big 4- something caliber because I remember it practically cut a pear tree in half, which died shortly after.

Gene R
06-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Frank,
It's real nice that the wife works and I'm retired ;D Only if she knew the stupid S..t i do when she's not around. Though she knows what I'm capitable of. Since the year I trimmed the 12' x-mas tree down to 10' with the chainsaw in livingroom. It happened so fast she couldn't even react till there where wood chips all over.
Thin and you win with painting. Better to lay multiple coats than one heavy with runs and have to start over. The Weavers 4 screw slotted seem to work just fine with all my magnum and non magnum rifles. I have them on 270wsm, 25-06 win, 338wm and this 270wby. If it makes ya feel better my says I suck at cleaning windows in our cars and trucks. :D

Leonardo,
Thats some funny stuff there about the scope bitting that fella! I remember be a young boy and seeing some guy getting cracked. My father made a comment to about this guy being jackwagon with his fancy magnum not having a clue about shooting. Weird the stuff ya remember, w/your dad huh? Kinda reason about this build.

Loaded up some Nosler 140 B.tips, IMR 7828SSC @ 71.5, 70.5, 69.5 gr. 5 ea. And Sie 135 BTHPmatch 70 and 69gr and 150 Sierra btsp GK's.
Hope to shoot early Sunday am before wind or storm front comes in.

Thanks for positive remarks,
Gene

Gene R
06-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Mike, missed your post. That's great Idea will do that next time with the valve grinding compound before painting. Not saying your way isn't good but I think i want the white steel protected? Have you seen any signs of corrosion from moisture sneaking in?

Gene

fgw_in_fla
06-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Hey Gene - It would probably NOT be a good idea to let both our women get together to discuss dumb stuff they know about. my 'ol lady could write a book If I let her.

There's not much you can tell me about the application of paint. As a general contractor that specializes in remodelling, I work with painters all week long. I have a full time guy that's a painter. it's just that I hate to do it & I really suck at it. I think one may have something to do with the other.... I'm not sure.

No matter. That project of yours turned out really excellent. Y'all don't know how much inspiration I've drawn from your project's. One of these days I 'spose I'll get a running start after a deep breath & jump into one of my own.
One of these days..

Anyway, best of luck to ya with it. Let's see a few more targets in a couple weeks - after you get it broken in & it breaks you in.
I think I saw you mention it's a .270. I have one that can do no wrong. It loves 130gr Noslers with 55.6 of H4831. When I'm having a good day, it'll use the same hole on a target. Fun caliber to shoot, I say.
AND.... It doesn't hurt after 30 rounds or so.
Stay well ;)
Frank in Fla