PDA

View Full Version : barrel threading - rethreading

Willoughby
06-07-2012, 03:17 PM
who has a lathe that can rethread a rem or other brand barrel to fit a savage ?
does anyone do this ?

memilanuk
06-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Last I checked, the Savage small shank and Remington barrels have the same thread diameter, with a different pitch. Only way thats going to work is cutting off the threaded portion of the shank and starting over - re-thread, and re-chamber, the works. Any competent gunsmith with a lathe should be able to do it, but I have a feeling its going to be false economy unless you are *really* attached to this take-off barrel for some reason.

Sell the Remington barrel to an un-believer and buy a new pre-threaded & chambered barrel... thats my advice.

ellobo
06-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Sell the Remington barrel to an un-believer and buy a new pre-threaded & chambered barrel... thats my advice.

Good advice. A new barrel from Midway (Adams and Bennet) would be cheaper or darn near the same cost.

El Lobo

nsaqam
06-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Mem is right on about the Rem 700 barrel.

My advice though is to buy a blank in the contour and twist you want and have a 'smith thread it (I prefer nutless) and have it chambered and throated per your specs rather than settling for a generic chamber/throat.

Willoughby
06-08-2012, 09:48 AM
I have a friend who has several Hart barrels for a Rem , just trying to see If they could be recycled
i have been considering buying a Shilen pre fit - but my Savage noodle barrel shoot cloverleafs
I know its not the wand -its the magician - but Ive never been able to shoot under moa before
I've also never owned a savage before, i thought 1st one was a fluke, so I bought 3 more trying to prove it was a fluke -
they all shoot better than any other rifles I ever owned -so I guess if I want a fat barrel , enough to buy a replacedment
-its not gonna be for accuracy.......yeah I'm new to Savages.. just bought a 7twist left prt 12 in .223
if the cheap ones shoot that good- I cant way to see how this one shoots

rjtfroggy
06-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Probably not much better seeing as how all the barrels come off the same line.