PDA

View Full Version : Neck Turning .308Win

Uncle Jack
12-06-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm new to this process. When turning the necks on .308 brass (Remington) what is the optimum neck wall thickness. My first efforts turned out .014. Is that within acceptable standards?

Apache
12-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Actually, it depends on your chamber. Some custom chambers are cut for a tight neck chamber, in target applications you want a very close fit. Something in the order of .002 under chamber dimensions. In hunting conditions most people want a bit more clearance in case some grit or something ends up in the neck area of the chamber causing high pressure.

In a factory rig, your not gonna see much if any difference.....I DO clean up the necks on my brass even on a no-turn neck chamber though. Take just enough off to clean up the neck to make sure it's the same thickness all the way around.

Fjold
12-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Actually, it depends on your chamber. Some custom chambers are cut for a tight neck chamber, in target applications you want a very close fit. Something in the order of .002 under chamber dimensions. In hunting conditions most people want a bit more clearance in case some grit or something ends up in the neck area of the chamber causing high pressure.

In a factory rig, your not gonna see much if any difference.....I DO clean up the necks on my brass even on a no-turn neck chamber though. Take just enough off to clean up the neck to make sure it's the same thickness all the way around.

+1, On a factory chambered gun just turn it enough to make the clean up the neck and make it even.