PDA

View Full Version : Bolt head movement

fgw_in_fla
06-06-2012, 05:36 AM
How tight or firm should the bolt head be? I mean, how much pressure should be required to move or "wobble" the bolt head?
The reason I ask.... Each one of my Savage rifles - the bolt head is capable or moving in a circular motion for obvious reason. That movement makes it possible to apply constant, even pressure to the case when chambered and / or fired. I have one rifle - a 30.06 - that has a bolt head that's much easier to "wobble" than any of the others.
I'm wondering if there's something worn & in need of replacement. I don't see any play or excessive movement in the retaining pin but it is looser than any other rifle I own.

The others almost feel as though they're spring loaded, no doubt due to the wave washer behind the baffle & against the shaft.
Would replacing the wave washer be a necessity at this time?

In case my question or explanatory info is unclear, I can put up a photo or two, now that I'm no longer "technologically challenged" on that issue.
Thanks for the input.
Frank in Fla.

jonbearman
06-06-2012, 06:43 PM
The retainer pin that pins the bolt head to the bolt body should be about a perfect fit. If there is no tension on the bolt head,make sure the baffle isnt screwed up and replace the wave washer out of maintenance.

fgw_in_fla
06-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Thank you for responding to my inquiry Jon... So, I gather replacement of the wave washer is a "regular maintenance" sort of thing? I kinda sorta assumed it may be a hi wear part but, I can't ever recall reading anything here on SavShoo about it. I suppose after a guy takes the bolt apart a few million times & tinkers with it, touches it up, lubes, cleans & on & on... I suppose it's one of those items that should be kept onhand for just such "emergencies".

I found it a little unusual that the bolt for the rifle that I use the least had the most amount of "wobble"... As near as I can see, all other parts are in good working condition.

Thanks again, Jon.

Frank in Fla

sharpshooter
06-07-2012, 12:10 PM
If it shoots good, don't worry about it.

fgw_in_fla
06-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Thank you for your input Mr. SharpShooter. I suppose in my mind I'm thinking the wave washer / spring washer acted as a cushion of sort. I just found it unusual that the rifle that has the least amount of rounds thru it AND the youngest of all, has the loosest fitting washer.

And.... as you so eloquently stated, if it shoots good, don't screw with it.

Thanks, y'all. ;)

Frank in Fla

ellobo
06-07-2012, 01:08 PM
This brings to mind the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

El Lobo