PDA

View Full Version : Best DIY mods to a Savage action?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Willoughby
06-07-2012, 03:13 PM
could someone post how to polish the cocking ramp ? what tools do you use ? possibly with pics?

gotcha
06-07-2012, 04:44 PM
I Don't have pics. Possibly someone else does?...................I disassembled the bolt cleaned the ramp & cocking button then marked the ramp w/ a felt tip pen, reassembled. ran the bolt through cock & fire several times. Disassembled, used a jewelers file to lightly file out the lumps & bumps on the button shaft-to-ramp mating surfaces. (mine was REAL lumpy :D) Used a dremel w/ small felt polishing wheel & metal polish for final finish..... You can use a piece of wood to push the cocking button out of it's detent (uncock) to make bolt disassembly easier. But, you probably already knew that ;) I used the felt tip pen twice so as not to "over do" any of the filing. Result: very smooth & consistent bolt lift. Would it be any better than a rifle that had several hundred rounds cycled through? Hard to say. But it made me feel good 8)

mattri
06-17-2012, 04:13 PM
Finally got the action, and it is stiff! The bolt lift is worse than any of my other savages and the trigger is very stiff and heavy, as expected.

The cocking sleeve and the ramps on the bolt look really clean, no tool marks, burrs etc.

Have a 38 case with the ball bearing, need to get a spacer to see how much that helps.

Will post with results.

mattri
06-20-2012, 10:20 AM
What are people using to polish the inside of the bolt and the cocking sleeve?

Leonardo63
06-20-2012, 08:50 PM
That is some pretty slick camo! ;)

mattri
06-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Had a couple of more specific questions so started two new threads.

ellobo
06-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Here is what I do on any cylinder that needs the interior polished. It may get some peoples shorts in a knot but here goes. I take dowel about 3/8 dia. I split it with a fine saw blade like a coping saw for about half an inch up the shaft. I then cut a pc of fine grit sandpaper 1/2 inch wide long enough to fold double, grit side out and fold over itself when inserted into the bore then put it in the slot. In a drill insert into the bore and run it up the length of the bore and back. Check your work. Do it again and again until you see improvement. Do not use a heavy grit paper. Somehting in the 400 range will work. You may have to make several pcs of folded paper to get the job done but it works. Remember, you want to clean up the bore and not remove metal. flush out any residue left in the bore and lightly lube it.

El Lobo

nsaqam
06-22-2012, 01:13 AM
EL nailed it.