PDA

View Full Version : 6 Dasher

Luckus
06-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Picked up my 12 ftr and new Rock Creek 6 Dasher barrel from smith on Friday. Formed 70 Lapua cases using the bullet jam method, with no case loss. Just finished loading 7 different loads using RL-15, CCI450's 105 Amax,-.010 off lands. I did the shoot and clean, first ten after each shot, 3 shots five time, 5 shots 5 times, and 10 shots two times. None of them on a target. Weather permitting tomorrow I will be testing. Luckus

ellobo
06-03-2012, 02:35 PM
A bit excessive I think. Did you check for copper buildup and clean it out as needed? For breakin I use a different method to smooth out a barrel. I have done it on every new barrel I have ever had. Even on muzzlelaoding barrels which I have used by the dozens building flintlocks for 45 yrs. Even though they rarely need it. I have never had a problem with a barrel using this method.
I put a tuft of 4 aught steel wool on a jag, oil it and run it full length of the barrel and back about a dozen times. On a cartridge barrel if I detect copper to any extent after that it gets another dozen swipes. I have never had to do it more than twice and have never detected any decrease in the potential accuracy of any barrel that I had done to it. For instance, my .35 Whelen and 7x57's after getting this treatment shot 3 shot cloverleafs, first 3 out of the barrel. 100 yds with a Weaver K-6. If you dont like my method, don't use it but I will continue to do that with the 2 Trade Gun Smoothbores I am currently making. 62 caliber. Flintlocks forever.

El Lobo

Luckus
06-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Except for the last 10 shot strings, that is what Savage recommends. All though it's not a Savage barrel it's what I did. Copper cleaned every time. I can guarantee there is no copper in this barrel.

Senderofan
06-03-2012, 06:07 PM
I think you'll be very pleased with your Dasher. I've got one built on a dual port target action and a 28" Krieger barrel. Unbelievably accurate round and a pleasure to shoot!

Congrats!

Wayne

ellobo
06-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Luckus, if that breakin method suits you by all means go for it. I might point out though that its a very expensive breakin. My method uses about 10 cents worth of steel wool and one penny of gun oil. I am sure that little 6Dasher (Whatever that is) will be a great shooter.

El Lobo

cgeorgemo
06-03-2012, 11:40 PM
I've never subscribed to the whole barrel break in by cleaning between rounds thing.
Without some sort of abrasive like is used by barrel makers when they hand lap a barrel with a lead slug then I think we are just pissing in the wind with the whole break in thing.
http://www.6mmbr.com/gailmcmbreakin.html

Gmac5
06-04-2012, 06:44 AM
I agree with cgeorgemo i have never seen any damage to the new bore ( 25 x bore scope ) by just shooting,
I have seen many barrels damaged by improper,agressive cleaning.

Luckus
06-04-2012, 11:56 AM
So far so good. 33gr RL17, 105 amax, 450, 3rounds .218, 100 yards. 33.2 same stuff .347. I'm happy! All bullets -.010. Luckus

BobT
06-05-2012, 10:29 AM
None of them on a target. Weather permitting tomorrow I will be testing. Luckus

Why would you not shoot at a target of some sort? Just seems like a waste of trigger time to me.

Bob

Luckus
06-05-2012, 12:34 PM
I was in a hurry, and I didn't fell like dragging all the extra stuff to my range. But you are right, trigger time on range is a plus. Luckus

Senderofan
06-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Lukus:

You just might be surprised at how well your groups are...with just the fire forming loads. I use a middle of the road load for a 6 BR...and I'm getting some nice little groupings. It's more or less fun to see while you're doing the boring task of fire forming.

Wayne

Luckus
06-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Since I got my starting batch formed I have been using the new ones a foulers just to get all of them fireformed. They are very accurate, 1/2" range and less, with 80gr RP bullets. I seated some 105 amax's lightly jammed and got 4 in .144 yesterday, the fifth one went out to .422. I knew when I pulled the trigger it was bad. This thing is fun. Luckus