PDA

View Full Version : Swapping barrels with iron sights?

AK4900PA
06-02-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm thinking about buying a hog hunter rifle as the basis for a project. I plan on replacing the stock and barrel anyways and this model appears to be the cheapest way for me to get everything i want in an action (matte black finish, tactical bolt handle, and accutrigger).

My concern is whether or not I can easily sell the barrel to recover some of the cost. Am I missing something or would it be near impossible to line up the iron sights on another rifle without the assistance of a gunsmith?

cgeorgemo
06-02-2012, 06:20 PM
I'm thinking about buying a hog hunter rifle as the basis for a project. I plan on replacing the stock and barrel anyways and this model appears to be the cheapest way for me to get everything i want in an action (matte black finish, tactical bolt handle, and accutrigger).

My concern is whether or not I can easily sell the barrel to recover some of the cost. Am I missing something or would it be near impossible to line up the iron sights on another rifle without the assistance of a gunsmith?

Well you wouldn't have to have a gunsmith if a person was willing to rent a reamer and use it when the sights didn't line up. It shouldn't be more than a few turns with a reamer to get the chamber back to headspace once the sights were lined up properly.

AK4900PA
06-02-2012, 08:29 PM
I figured it would be a bit more complicated than the standard savage barrel swap. I guess it really doesnt matter since the hog hunter is still a couple hundred dollars less than any other offerings with the features I want.

6mmBR_Shooter
06-02-2012, 09:06 PM
If the barrel is either unfired or minimally fired, shouldn't the chamber be in as new condition? The sights should be in the same position as they were on the hog hunter when headspace was set after installing on the new action (in theory ::) ).

outlawsix
06-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Well that wuld depend on where the threads were started. Im not sure if threads for barrels and actions are started in the same spot for all of them. If the starting points are different then the when headspace is set the iron sights would not line up.

geargrinder
06-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Surface grind a custom recoil lug to get the head space and sight alignment to coincide. You may have to start with a thicker unit so as not to get too thin should the best part of a full thread be required for this this to happen. 20 TPI=.050" More than one way to skin the proverbial Cat!

Recoil lug won't change a thing. It will just move the barrel nut.

If a barrel won't headspace with the sights lined up, you'll need to set back the chamber to get them to line up. You'll also have to face off the end of the barrel to make sure you have the proper amount of clearance between the bolt rim and barrel.

MrMajestic
06-02-2012, 11:19 PM
I hate it when your right! ;) I use this method on Remingtons to adjust head space and spoke too soon on this. My apologies.

6mmBR_Shooter
06-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Finally was able to install a 30-06 barrel with sights that I bought here from another forum member.

Sure enough, the sights were at about the 8:00 position with proper headspace on the barrel. Oh well, so I took the sights off and plan to use the barrel as is.

I have soldered a front sight on a shotgun, so is it possible to solder on a front sight to a rifle barrel without issue?