PDA

View Full Version : I need some help....having a helmet fire....(110 build trigger issues)

dcompton
06-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Here's the back story. I pick up an old flat back long action receiver for a long range build. It's been a looong road as my budget has only allowed for a few pieces here and there. 2 years later, I have finally made time to thread the barrel and mount the muzzle brake , I have finished milling the receiver to allow mag feed of the longer 338 Edge rounds, She got Duracoated a couple of days ago and my plan was to reassemble the trigger components and take her to the range today for function testing. Here's where I am hitting a brick wall. The receiver serial number is F010xxx. I had originally called Savage to try and find the model # to make sure I ordered the correct trigger parts from Numrich but they were useless. Couldn't tell me what model number I had because they didn't have serial# records that far back. So I look at the myriad of schematics and take a best stab at what I need. Needless to say, plan A failed. I had the incorrect trigger pin and no trigger pin retaining clip. So I move on to plan B which is take down a 110 I have in the safe and borrow the trigger group so I can at least see if this thing I've been building for two dang years even goes bang when you pull the trigger. Trigger group goes in flawlessly but when I go to install the bolt, the sear will not retract far enough into the receiver floor for the bolt to go in. It doesn't matter what I try, there is just enough of a nubbin of sear sticking up to block the bolt. I tried both bolt assemblies. No Joy. SO then I grab the sear I ordered. It looks the same, but on closer inspection the tab that engages the trigger is shaped a little different. It pins right in, and the bolt goes into the receiver. Yipee....function test....crap. The sear seems to not want to reset, like the spring isn't strong enough or the sear is stiff or sticky or something. When I use the sear that was with the other rifle, it moves freely and the spring seems to reset it just fine. It's just when I use that one, the bolt won't got in the rifle. The Serial number on my other 110 that I was using parts from is F752xxx. Can someone for the love of God help me figure out what damn trigger parts I need??
Thanks in advance!

Dan

nsaqam
06-02-2012, 11:09 AM
I'd take a file and remove that little "nubbin" from the top of the sear.

Won't affect anything but you'll be able to put the bolt in.

ellobo
06-02-2012, 11:19 AM
The sear is a hardened part. A file may not work unles the sear is case hardened. A grinder of some sort will work. If I were you I would find the instructions on adjusting that trigger before you use it, what with parts assembly as you describe the trigger may be out of adjustment and the safety not working properly.

El Lobo

dcompton
06-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Oh trust me. It will be thoroughly adjusted and tested....I just can't figure out why a trigger and sear from one Fxxx flat back 110 won't work in another Fxxx flat back 110 receiver. Could it have something to do with the Duracoat making a dimension thick enough somewhere so as not to let the sear retract all the way into the receiver maybe?

Dan

keeki
06-02-2012, 11:33 AM
check to make sure the bolt release return spring is not upside down

dcompton
06-02-2012, 12:19 PM
the sear spring with the bushing?

Dan

dcompton
06-02-2012, 08:11 PM
I may have it figured out. This model sear spring is the big loop that takes the little PITA bushing. I got it mostly together...still need to re-order the correct trigger pin and lock washer though. The sear is still a little "sticky" when you work the bolt. I think I am going to try to file out the Duracoat that found it's way into the sear opening and hit all the pin rotation points with some good lubricant. Hopefully I will get this thing ready to shoot. I'll post pictures of the result of 2 years of part buying when I get her all together.

DC