PDA

View Full Version : Richards Microfit Stock

Pages : [1] 2 3

seanhagerty
06-01-2012, 08:54 PM
I just received my Tactical style stock from Richard Microfit. The finish was what I expected, gonna need a bit of sanding, but I can live with that. The funny thing is, the front action screw is drilled out but not the rear action screw. Or the screw for the trigger guard metal. The wood looks nice, I can't wait to get it finished. But now I have to wait to see what they say before I touch it.

I sent them an email asking what was up.

Sean

seanhagerty
06-01-2012, 10:09 PM
OK, got the rear action screw thing worked out. They left a bit of a plug in there, I just knocked it out complete with no issues.

I will do a write up on this when as I work through finishing it.

Sean

seanhagerty
06-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Did a test fit with the action. The bolt will not clear the rollover cheek piece enough to allow the bolt full travel, nevermind taking it out with out removing the action from the stock.

Sent an email and called twice with no response. This may be going back.

xj4me
06-10-2012, 12:33 AM
the one i finished also needed the cheekpiece trimmed back to allow the bolt to be removed, it had plenty of travel to function just not be removed.

pdog06
06-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Had the same issue with mine. I routed a notch into it to allow the bolt to be removed. This wasnt that hard to do, and definately easier than sending it back.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/pdog06_photos/DSCN2725.jpg

benfranklin
06-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Glad to have read these post...Lets me know NOT to order from them..

Thanks so much for sharing your valued information....

nsaqam
06-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Glad to have read these post...Lets me know NOT to order from them..

Thanks so much for sharing your valued information....

Amen!

LRJammer
06-14-2012, 11:56 PM
I recently used one of their pre-inletted stocks for my FN PBR-XP and it is an excellent product and service. Just because they didnt knock out one plug certainly isnt cause to condemn them. Nobody else even comes close in the variety of profiles available and color combinations available. Go look at the sorry selection you have to choose from at Boyds and you will see what I mean.

brtelec
06-15-2012, 01:27 AM
Start reading on all the forums about Richard's. True they have tremendous variety, but their customer service is one of the worst in the business. If you get what you want and it is acceptable, no problem, but if you do have a problem of any type there is an excellent chance that you will not be able to get in touch with anyone in a timely manner to get it taken care of. This is not the opinion of the OP this is the consensus of most of the people that have dealt with them. For every person that posts a good experience with Richards there is horror story after horror story of unhappy people that have dealt or tried to deal with them.

nsaqam
06-15-2012, 01:42 AM
I've done two Richard's Lucky-if-it-fits stocks.
I won't ever do another.
Between their EXTREMELY optimistic (downright lies) wood grading, their drunken beaver inletting and shaping, and their slow and discourteous service I'd just as soon do a 2x4 and some tie wire.
Better work could be done in a grade school shop class.

seanhagerty
06-15-2012, 07:42 AM
I sent this back. I couldnt get any contact with them through ph calls or email.

FYI, The plug popped out, seemed it was a chip that was stuck there. No big deal there.

I do want to mention that the finish was rough. There were some pretty severe tooling marks. I was looking forward to the challenge of cleaning it up. But then, I am a glutton for punishment.

What really troubled me was the rollover cheek piece. It wouldnt allow the bolt to travel full length for ejection or bolt removal. No contact from the vendor to help me resolve it.

I sent it back and bought a Boyds. Received cheaper, faster and it fit.

Nor Cal Mikie
06-15-2012, 09:45 AM
2 X 4 and some tie wire? Is that a custom that I'am not aware of? Sounds like you may have something there. ;)

Just recieved a Benchrest Thumbhole with a finish at 80%. Either the "drunken beaver" was on brake or they sharpened their dull chain. ::)
It's "always" a crap shoot to see what you'll end up with.
If you're nor prepared to do some work to get the fit and finish you want, PASS!!
They're known as a "gunsmith's stock. Not a drop in by and means.
IMHO, still a good value if you know what to expect.

cgeorgemo
06-15-2012, 10:02 AM
The stocks are sold as needing to be finished. The tactical style has information on their site stating.
(Has a High Cheekpiece)
Down below that it mentions.
This style is suitable for an Adjustable Cheekpiece, and Adjustable Butt Plate.
How can you be upset with them when their description states that the stock has a High cheekpiece?
http://rifle-stocks.com/Tactical_with_wood_drop_forearm_72dpi.JPG
The picture even shows a rifle whose bolt is lined up with the cheekpiece.

nsaqam
06-15-2012, 10:22 AM
They also apply the blatant misnomer of Microfit to their stocks.

Mikie is right that their stocks are a crapshoot. My first one for a P-17 was inletted acceptably and it merely took a ton of shaping to make a very nice stock. My second one was ordered as AAA walnut, Mannlicher style for a Savage 111. Not only was the wood I received closer to utility grade but the mag box inlet was so egregiously wide that the stock was unusable. By the time I got the stock exterior nearly shaped I broke through into the mag inlet. The only way I could have avoided that was to have a stock with an ugly Perch belly.

brtelec
06-15-2012, 10:30 AM
I do have to agree with cgeorgemo on the bolt situation, even in their catalog picture there is no way that bolt is coming out of there without removing the action. Of course you would expect it to cycle.

maddogg316
06-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Iv gotten one of there target stocks from them.
The inlet was tight and it was missing a pillar hole but that was to be expected.
It finished up pretty nice wih about 18 labor hours of work!

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa428/nickvaughn316/2011-08-12060936.jpg

seanhagerty
06-15-2012, 11:30 AM
I dont disagree, I should not have expected a finished stock.

I did expect my rifle to function with it. The fact that it did not, was what pushed me over the edge.

LRJammer
06-17-2012, 12:00 PM
I guess common sense isnt so common any more.

nsaqam
06-17-2012, 12:26 PM
I guess common sense isnt so common any more.

Apparently not if people are still buying stocks from Richard's Lucky-if-it-fits.

Nor Cal Mikie
06-17-2012, 12:51 PM
People see all the styles they offer and that's what attracts them. IMHO, One of the better selection of styles and prices available.
Now, if folks would compare the cost of the RMF stock against a full blown "Custom" stock costing close to twice as much, if not more, they would relize that they take work to fit and finish. Still a deal no matter what. ;)
Someone has to fit and finish. Pay me now or pay me later. It'll still cost you one way or another. You're time and effort at "No Charge" or pay up front and let someone else do it.
If you do it, It's "YOURS", you did it and can brag about it OR, just write the check and get one ready to go. ;)
There's a feeling of accomplishment knowing that you did the work. 8)
I get mine with No Cheek Piece so there's no bolt interference. ;D