PDA

View Full Version : Advice on further mods to my 10FXCP in .308

brentwoodkris
05-31-2012, 11:16 AM
So here's the story. I'm kind of addicted to modifying my original package 10FXCP rifle in .308. I'm thinking that I want my next mod to be having my new heavy barrel threaded and a muzzle brake installed, but I'm open to the obviously better advice than I can come up with on my own. Here's a list of what I've done to it so far and what I have planned for upcoming weeks:

Replaced Bushnell 3-9x40 stock optic with Mueller 4.5-14x50 APT optic
Replaced stock tupperware with Choate Ultimate Varmint Stock
Replaced stock rings with 30mm weaver 6pt tactical rings (retained stock bases as they seemed decent)
Replacing stock barrel (22" sporter) with 26" heavy barrel take-off from a 12FV
Replacing stock bolt handle with longer tactical bolt handle to reduce heavy bolt lift and close interference with optic
Cloned harris bipod

Yes I know, by this point I would've been better off purchasing a 10FP or a 10FCP-K but at the time I bought the rifle I wasn't thinking I would be doing this many modification and had originally just wanted a deer gun. Now I've realized that where I hunt from is a nice treehouse setup with a place for a bipod on all sides so I can have a great bench shooter that I use once or twice a season to get a deer too!

Like I said, was thinking I want to add a threaded muzzle brake to the new barrel (assuming of course that I like the new barrel once I install it this/next week) but all advice is appreciated! Also, I'm totally new to muzzle brakes so I'm unsure of how much they cost blah blah. You know. Anyways, thanks in advance!

barrel-nut
05-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Welcome to the addiction my friend. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction!

ellobo
05-31-2012, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the addiction my friend. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction!

Or the wrong direction as the case may be. ;D

El Lobo

darkker
05-31-2012, 02:34 PM
For the muzzle brake, I guess it depends on why/what you want.
I have the Ultimate Sniper stock on my FP. I can shoot over 200 rounds of 175 SMK's in a sitting, with no beat-up shoulder; I don't THINK the Varminter is a much lighter stock. So if recoil is the issue, I don't think that it will be. Muzzle brakes, to me, are a GREAT way to put powder burns on the bed of your pick-up, and go deaf; or annoy the fellow shooting beside you.
That said, around here most folks who send the barrel to a smith to get threaded with a variety of different branded brakes; spend about $2-300.

brentwoodkris
05-31-2012, 03:09 PM
For the muzzle brake, I guess it depends on why/what you want.
I have the Ultimate Sniper stock on my FP. I can shoot over 200 rounds of 175 SMK's in a sitting, with no beat-up shoulder; I don't THINK the Varminter is a much lighter stock. So if recoil is the issue, I don't think that it will be. Muzzle brakes, to me, are a GREAT way to put powder burns on the bed of your pick-up, and go deaf; or annoy the fellow shooting beside you.
That said, around here most folks who send the barrel to a smith to get threaded with a variety of different branded brakes; spend about $2-300.

I suppose there might also be a significant reduction in recoil due to the pending install of the 26" heavy barrel. The added length and weight of the barrel [I'm guessing] could potentially reduce recoil significantly. Feel free to correct me. At this point, when laying in full prone and shooting, the [light] front end of my rifle tends to make a fairly significant vertical jump after each shot...

maddogg316
05-31-2012, 08:46 PM
trust me go without the brake i did the same exact mods and i can shoot all day long on a bi-pod not much kick at all! 14lbs with bi-pod

drybean
05-31-2012, 08:50 PM
sss comp trigger

drybean

barrel-nut
05-31-2012, 11:00 PM
The heavier/longer barrel will help tame recoil significantly. I'd pass on the brake too.

RatMag
06-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Rifle Basix SAV-1 trigger for sure!!

DK

darkker
06-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Brent,

For an example for you, My FP with the stock, bi-pod, scope, weights in a tad over 24#.

maddogg316
06-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Damn i thought mine was heavy at 14 lbs!

brentwoodkris
06-01-2012, 04:19 PM
Sheesh I wonder what mine will weigh in at with the new barrel installed...the choate stock on it's own is over 7lbs I believe.

Patriot Prepper
06-02-2012, 06:44 PM
I would say forget the brake. The .308 is a mild recoiling gun - with the heavy barrel the recoil should be even less. However, if recoil rely bothers you, or you need to get off a second round really fast without losing your point of aim, then maybe a MB would be helpful.