PDA

View Full Version : Low temp powder?

benfranklin
05-30-2012, 10:00 AM
??? Got to wondering if there is such a thing as a low temperture powder..

Maybe an impossible thing..If there was one that would help keep a barrel
from getting too hot during a match..My rifle is only a 22-250,but still the
barrel heats up pretty good after 10 rounds...But then,maybe a low temp.
powder would not be an accurate powder either...Just a thought....John

darkker
05-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Everything is relative, But Win 748 has a very low flame temp for it's burning speed.
Among several other reasons, that is one reason why Benchrest shooters have always loved it.

benfranklin
05-30-2012, 12:03 PM
never knew that about it befor..Seems like there would be some others out there
as well...I have used it some in the past,but with little success..How about something like
H380? Is that also a hotter burning? John

darkker
05-31-2012, 03:09 PM
Not that it couldn't work, but 748 is a little quick for the 22-250; I missed that part originally.
760/414 is a better speed range for that cartridge.

I couldn't tell you much more about "who's burns where". I know that Vhit powders burn EXTREMELY hot, compared to most other things.
I don't know much about H380, other than it was a surplus powder; What it is now I can't say.
All the Spherical powders that Hodgy is selling come from General Dynamics out of Florida. Hodgdon MAY have an idea, but honestly GD may be the better choice to talk to.
As they are a private Defense contractor for the US military, they may not be interested in talking to you. You can always give it a shot. Hodgdon(for being a middle-man only) has always been helpful when I call.

benfranklin
05-31-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks for that very informative information...I just thought that another
powder choice might help with the barrel getting too hot too quick...John

DanSavage
05-31-2012, 05:28 PM
I know a lot of guys around here use molly bullets, cuts down on the friction in the barrel.

benfranklin
05-31-2012, 08:07 PM
Moly is nice but it takes forever to clean out of the barrel..

unless they have a better clearner than when it first
was intrduced...

DanSavage
05-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Moly is nice but it takes forever to clean out of the barrel..

unless they have a better clearner than when it first
was intrduced...

I know some guy's that clean it out after every match, not sure how they get it out though, and one guy that shoot's his 6BR and 6BRX the hole season (about 7 month's) without cleaning what so ever, and the guns shoot extremely well, but the barrel's are also shillen selects.

I don't use molly myself and I usually compete with .308's and the barrel's will get real hot. At our local match's the first relay has 30 minute's to shoot all the sighter's they need and then 20 rounds for the score at two score target's. Usually I am done in under 15 minute's flat as I have found the quicker you can get done the barrel doesn't soak up as much heat over a longer course of fire. My theory is once that barrel is getting hot keep her shooting straight by keeping a steady pace, never letting a round cook in the chamber either. Then we take a 30 min break while the second relay shoot's then we go again with 20 more shot's for record.

I will prolly switch to molly eventually it's just something that I don't want to mess with right now. If you've got deep pocket's I recommend the Combined Techknowlegy bullets from Nosler, I've had great accuracy with them and they also reduce friction big time and the lubralox clean's out easy.

Regards,
Dan

benfranklin
06-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Dan,

Thanks for the valued information...I have been think about
getting a 308 myself..But I may just keep with the 22-250
for this year..Been thinking about another stock for it though.

I can't decide what I want for it though.Something with a wide
fore front..Even those are pricey..What isn't?
My thought is the 30 cal would be less effected by the wind
at 250 yards....Have also been thinking about the 6.5
creedmoor....

I think there is a shoot tomorrow here..Not sure..I do
a lot of practice in the wind..Figured it might help....

So,thanks again and if you got more to add,then
feel free to do so............John

kschilling
06-01-2012, 02:52 PM
I use Moly on everything. I shoot 90 grain Berger VLDs out of the .223 all year at 2950 fps. I compete in Mid Range F Class. I'l go about 200-250 before I give it a cleaning. I soak the barrel in Wipe Out over night and then run some Kroil down it. A couple of patches of JB Bore Cleaner and another run of Wipe Out and I'm done. I also own a High end Video Borescope which allows me to track barrel wear. Granted, all I shoot are Shilen Select Match barrels, which also attribute to the quick clean up.

Ken

DanSavage
06-01-2012, 03:34 PM
John, there's one guy out of about 25 that is using a 22-250 in our match's and He is doing extremely well using factory ammo with it. At the 250 yard range a 22-250 should be just fine, the bullet will be at the target so fast at 250 yards that it shouldn't be affected by the wind too much unless it's gale force wind.

I don't think I've EVER seen a guy at the bottom of the pack using a 6br they seem to produce ity bity groups and they can get to 1000 yards if needed. They also have low recoil which helps your body stay relaxed and calm, I will be getting into a 6br eventually.

The one downfall on shooting the .308 at these match's is the recoil and torque. Not that it can't be done, it's just a bigger challenge to control that baby through out 40+ rounds.

Normally I am a 180"s shooter prone with a .308, but look what happened when I shot a friends .222, the non existing recoil helped me to remain completely relaxed. This was off a bench at a match held at 185 yards. Score was 199 33x good for second place, missing first by .060". The winner shot a 200 30x.

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af240/243Wilson/F-Class046.jpg

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af240/243Wilson/F-Class042.jpg

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af240/243Wilson/F-Class045.jpg

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af240/243Wilson/F-Class047.jpg

This was my best performance ever and I can still hardly believe it!

benfranklin
06-01-2012, 09:37 PM
damn. thats fanfreakintastic man.....I know my 22-250 will do the job..

I am wanting a better scope though..not sure what to get.

A fixed power or a veriable...