PDA

View Full Version : Winchester brass trouble..... again

fgw_in_fla
05-29-2012, 05:32 PM
I bought a bag of 50 Winchester - NEW - 25.06 brass to load up for my new Edge. After the first firing I noticed about 6 cases with split necks. The second day of shooting - I'm still seeing split case necks when I eject the cases. One of the cases ejects and I notice a little something "extra" flying out with the case. It turned out to be the primer. It may not be visible in the photo but, the pocket is oblong.....
I need to contact Winchester about it. The last time it was primers that burned thru the back and toasted my bolt face. They sent me some mfg. coupons for double reimbursement. Now I have brass that's junk. I'm hoping they'll do the reimbursement thing again. This time with good brass I hope....

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/DSC07321.jpg

I didn't put up any pics of the splits. They're too hard to see in person, let alone photo on a computer...

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w424/fgwinfla/DSC07320.jpg

Aside from the splits & the blown primer, the 25.06 caliber is a whole lotta fun to shoot. I've heard the 6mm & 6.5mm calibers have an inherent accuracy. I found out how accurate this weekend. Even in very windy conditions.
Frank in Fla

brtelec
05-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Out of curiosity what load are you using?

fgw_in_fla
05-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Those were the low to mid range for 25.06 - 85gr noslers. That particular case had 50.0gr of IMR 4350. No where near the max according to the Lyman manual.
I never load hot charges. I look for the first accuracy node on the lower end of the spectrum & start from there looking for max. accuracy. I don't own a chrono & don't concern myself with hi velocity.
If it leaves the barrel & hits the target before I can count to "one", I figure I'm OK. If I can get 3 to 5 rounds in a 1/2" or 3/4" dot, I'm happy to start there & look for the Happy Spot ;D

The split necks are more of a concern to me since over 1/3 of the new cases are split from the case mouth toward the shoulder. The visible splits are not longer than 1/8th inch + or -.

Those little buggers cost me 40 bucks & they were the last bag he had.....

Frank in FLa

brtelec
05-29-2012, 10:34 PM
It actually sounds like the necks ar not annealed properly and are too hard and the case heads are too soft if you are blowing primer pockets. Where did you get this brass?

Aircraftmech76
05-30-2012, 12:39 AM
Something like this?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/rvpilot76/Cartridges/100_1587.jpg

This was on the first firing as well with reformed 284 Winchester to 7.5x55 Swiss. I was not a happy camper. Needless to say, everything I shoot now gets annealed with my Ballistic Edge annealing machine...

Kevin

darkker
05-30-2012, 12:44 AM
Sorry to hear you have problems with your brass.

I know a lot of folks say that Winchester makes the best brass. The problem with that is they don't make their brass anymore, and haven't for a while.

fgw_in_fla
05-30-2012, 03:10 AM
Air - Nothing like that! Good Grief! that looks terrible.

Mine cracked at the case mouth. It's brandie - brand new, right outta the bag, touched up the mouth opening from getting slightly out of round using collet neck sizer. These were not annealed since they were brand new. They WOULD have been annealed after the first firing..... if they wouldn't have split.

Once fired and there are small cracks approx. 1/16" long. The longest I saw was about 1/8" long.

I just noticed when I attempted to press in a few primers on the once fired brass, it felt like they fell in. No force needed on the press handle at all.

I don't like these & I believe I'll look for some Remington in the morning. These are not woking out too well. I have some of the unfired cases left I can use until replacement brass is found.

Later y'all
Frank in Fla

Dennis
05-30-2012, 05:16 AM
I have never seen something like this.

Could incorrect headspacing be an issue to maybe cause both issues?

rjtfroggy
05-30-2012, 06:21 AM
Frank do yourself a favor and resize some of your 30-06 brass, the older brass is much better than the new crap.Unless you are willing to pay a buck a piece for new stuff (lapua) and then resize.

BobT
05-30-2012, 07:01 AM

I know a lot of folks say that Winchester makes the best brass. The problem with that is they don't make their brass anymore, and haven't for a while.

Who does?

kslefty
05-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Make sure your resizing button has not gottten a light coating of rust on it. I have had this problem after not using my resizing die in quite a while.

davemuzz
05-30-2012, 08:33 AM
I will second the use of Lapua or even Norma Brass. Although you practically have to mortgage the house to buy it....it's one of those "investments" that last a very long time.

darkker
05-30-2012, 11:03 AM

Who does?

Ohlin(Winchester) sold their brass/cartridge manufacturing business in 2007. They sold it to Global Brass(KPS Capital Partners is their holding Co.); Who I assume is making it. However there is A TON of "contract" manufacturing that goes on; Similar to how Miroku Corp makes Browning rifles...

Luckus
05-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Is that 50 gr of 4350 a load you have used in the past in this rifle? I used to have a 25-06 and it was very finicky about what it would take. You may ahve bad brass but 25-06's in my book are touchy.

justinp61
05-30-2012, 05:35 PM
I had to cull 28 out of 200 new winchester brass, sent them back and they sent me a coupon for $20. I wish i had spent the money on Laupa or just bought Remington brass in the first place.

When I first got my rifle no one had Winchester brass so i bought 100 Remington to get me started, in my poinion the Remington is far and away a better quality brass than the Winchester.

Blue Avenger
05-30-2012, 06:54 PM
case heads started separating on my win 25-06 and win .220 swift brass after the second firing. I used to get 10 + out of my swift and then retired it for prudence, not any damage.