PDA

View Full Version : New barrel suppliers / dealers

fgw_in_fla
05-29-2012, 12:42 PM
I had the opportunity to shoot a guys Remington BDL .270 with a SHillen fat barrel. Now, every rifle I own is as close to stock appearance as I can get. All modifications & additions are internal and not really noticeable.
After seeing & feeling the difference a target (or varmint barrel , I don't know the diff...) barrel makes, I think I'd like to have one.
Anyone know where I can buy standard caliber (.270, .30-06, .25-06,.243)barrel(s) without having to wait for it to be manufactured? I know Midway has these Shaw package deals with the barrel, wrench, headspace gages, and a few other odds & ends. Most of them are out of stock and on back order.
I'd like to make a call or get online & order a barrel, know it's a stock item & know it'll be at my door in 4 to 5 days.

Who stocks fat barrels?

Frank in Fla

drybean
05-29-2012, 12:53 PM
northland shooters supply

drybean

JackinSD
05-29-2012, 01:50 PM

drybean

On the money with that. +1 on NSS

barrel-nut
05-29-2012, 02:55 PM

drybean

On the money with that. +1 on NSS

+2 on NSS. Jim is great to deal with. He stocks Shilen, Criterion, Savage pulloffs, and a few others. Also has barrel nut wrenches, nuts, precision recoil lugs, stocks, actions, and other goodies. Won't try to sell you anything you don't need, but plenty helpful with lots of advice. Check out his vendor site on here, then give him a call. Don't bother with e-mail, he prefers to talk to his customers. Highly recommend!

fgw_in_fla
05-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Ya know.... SOme how I had a feeling y'all were going to say that. A couple of weeks ago I sent Jim a couple emails with no response. Then, I crossed paths with him here at SS and he mentioned to call later in the day / later in the week as it would be a wee bit slower. After trying many times, I kinda stopped figuring the guy's way too busy to deal with my menial attempt to buy a barrel.

I 'spose I'll try again. From what I know about the guy & the way everyone speaks so highly of him, He must be the guy to see about a barrel.

After shooting that guys Rem BDL with the log for a barrel, I fell in love with it. I could not believe the way it fired. I'd like to try a .270 or maybe 30.06 since they're my favorite calibers..... Except since I got to shoot my new EconoEdge in 25.06, But that caliber doesn't seem to be as popular.

Thanks folks...
Frank in Fla

drybean
05-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Frank yust keep a calling
he is the best i have ever orderd from

drybean

cgeorgemo
05-29-2012, 09:12 PM
I've bought parts and complete hard to find rifles from Jim. Great experience and yes it took a few calls to get through to him a couple of the times.

BoilerUP
05-29-2012, 10:33 PM
Did you leave a message with NSS?

Jim has ALWAYS called me back - sometimes as late as 8pm at night!

barrel-nut
05-30-2012, 12:11 AM
Did you leave a message with NSS?

Jim has ALWAYS called me back - sometimes as late as 8pm at night!

+1 again...

fgw_in_fla
05-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the input guys....

Looks like Jim gets the vote.

I'll give him a call this week as soon as I have a whole 10 minutes to myself to sit down & keep hitting the redial button ;)

Later,

Frank in Fla

jeffreyC
05-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Leave a message if he does not answer.

He will call back.

You call once and leave a message, no need to redial over and over.

psharon97
05-30-2012, 12:43 PM
You can also look at Sin Arms, another vender on this site.

1jonzmith
05-30-2012, 04:45 PM
I too have had difficulty getting thru to Jim. And, were those times not preceded by an exceedingly GOOD experience, I might well have shut down on the guy and never done business with him. Because I wouldn't have known better. He has saved me money and time and disappointment on every one of my adventures in which he has become involved and in each case his good advice has cost him some profit. He seems to be selfless, in that regard.

I have had emails not responded to. I have had emails responded to a week after the fact. Innumerable busy signals. And with all that he is well worth "your" effort "to you" to connect. His wife is a very sweet lady, as well. She calls me the day she ships anything to me.....and if there is any question she puts Jim on the line immediately. Who else calls you to say "I am putting your purchase in the mail today" or it has shipped "today"? Who?

HTH,

John

JW
06-02-2012, 07:15 PM
I have been lucky in contacting Jim 3 or four different times and he has answered each time
as others have already stated: leave him a message--he will call you back
I can assure you, you will not be disappointed in Jim, the products he offers, or his wealth of information that he he willing to share if asked.
Good luck
Jack

egavas101
06-06-2012, 07:03 AM
Check out - http://www.eabco.com

Pat