Willoughby
05-27-2012, 11:53 PM
I looked at a older Savage 110 today at local shop
it was a .308 heavey barrel with a recessed target crown
the barrel was little or no taper - and marked Savage 110 S serries J
it had a very unique wood stock as well - walnut with a palmswell -
& palmswell was textured up to underside of forearm

from the frequently asked questions sections I found this

The 1st Generation short actions are often incorrectly referred to as "Series J" actions or Intermediate Actions. These actions will have a three digit model number (110, 112, etc), but are approximately 0.540" shorter than the standard long action.
a rifle can be marked with a series letter other than "J" and still be one of these 1st Gen short actions

but does any one have any thing more to add .....about this bull barreled .308?
never seen a heavy barreled rifle that old - looks like it would shoot bugholes
half tempted to buy it -
but Im kinda leaning towards a newer roundback action
any info appreciated

Blue Avenger
05-28-2012, 01:04 AM
That was there target stock during that era.

geargrinder
05-28-2012, 02:12 AM
It's pretty much only the short action rounds that you need to watch out for with the "J's". Any of the long action rounds will be a regular long action.

Sounds like a keeper if the price is right.

CJ in WY
05-28-2012, 06:36 AM
recessed target crown
Not sure but it sounds like someone has already tryed to accurasize it=Savage crowned most of these units with a hacksaw!
IMHO if you like the 308 and/or palmswell it would be a good buy for $400.....or less

LHitchcox
05-28-2012, 08:55 AM
This is their silhouette model. Known to be very accurate and the stock is designed for offhand shooting. Whether you buy or not depends on your intended use for the rifle. If you want a bench gun, you might want to consider how the stock will work off the bench.

Willoughby
05-28-2012, 09:03 AM
barrel looked to be short 20'- 22'
I didnt pay attention to shank size
anyone know from info posted what the sank size would be ?
It looked pretty clean , bolt was bright & shiny -I didnt have a bore light but the muzzle looked good
there asking 289.00

CJ in WY
05-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Shank would be standard Savage. Did it have scope bases?
The stock and one piece scope bases are limited to the intermedate actions=that why I mentioned the stock as they are custom order to change.

Trent
05-28-2012, 09:32 AM
At $289 that is a great deal! I'd buy it in a second.

It will have the small shank barrel.

Did you notice or do you remember if it had the high cheek rest?

Here is mine with a Shilen barrel and Canjar Double-Set trigger. I use mine for it's intended task... Metallic Silhouette. These stocks were designed for a specific purpose and that was for banging steel on the Silhouette ranges.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g211/trental/Forum%20Photos/Savage110S/DSC_0051.jpg

Trent
05-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Willoughby, where are you located? Buy it and find your nearest range that has high power silhouette matches and start shooting Metallic Silhouette... you'll wish you had tried it years ago. It is an addictive and challenging sport!

If you do buy it, and it has the high cheek rest and you aren't needing that then I'd be interested in it. Maybe a trade. My stock for some reason doesn't have the high cheek rest which helps a lot in standing "off-hand" shooting.

CJ in WY
05-28-2012, 09:42 AM
They work equaly as well in the varmint range

http://photos.imageevent.com/cjnmn/guns/websize/4-26-08%20087.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/cjnmn/guns/websize/Glensdogs%20033.jpg

If it dont work out for ya there is always room for another ;D

http://photos.imageevent.com/cjnmn/guns/websize/09outandabout%20222.jpg

stumpjumper400
05-28-2012, 11:33 PM
If you decide not to buy it, there are probably many who would like to have it like me. I have been looking for that rifle for awhile. Let me know if you don't want it and where it is.

Steve

Willoughby
05-31-2012, 11:32 AM
well -i couldnt help thinking it would be gone if I waited till sunday
so I took off couiple hrs early & drove 95 miles one way to see if it was still there
it was... so i get it home & take it apart to look it over-
it has a 21 3/4 barrel --- guy must have read secrets of a warehouse in Huston--
the barrel is bedded -but not the action ? may be reversing this later - but Ill shoot it 1st
5 screw trigger ? 4 + 1 on saftey -
the stock has high cheek & a few dings - but metal looks like it rode around a lot more than it got shot
gotta find some bases & a scope -then Ill let y'all know how it shoots
anybody know what twist this might be ? - Ive neverbeen any good at measuring twist with a patched jag -

Trent
06-04-2012, 11:30 PM
I find using a patched jag or a brush being the best way to check. That way you will know definitively.

If that high cheek rest on your new stock isn't working out for you I'd be in for a trade if you are interested.

Willoughby
06-05-2012, 12:18 AM
I like the cheekrest still have to build it up about a 1/2 " to get correct cheek weld- sight alignment
I got a new Dewey cleaning rod that spins real easy & measured it -its a 1/12 - I thought it would be
I put some 00.40 wire in the trigger -came unadjusted overnight
fiddled with it a little while & realized I must have some bad wire or something-
so I put the original back in & backed it up a turn -this one only has 1 slot instead of 2 - this gave me a consistant 24 oz pull
best (old ) trigger Ive ever had -
I put a Millet 4x16 56 mildot optic on it & I loaded up some 175smk's - Varget from 40-44 & some with IMR 4064
cant wait to see what it likes
God I hope it shoots well- I love the way it feels & looks
maybe saturday ......if I get all my chores done...............

Willoughby
06-14-2012, 04:16 PM
this is one sweeeeeeeeeet rifle
moa & better all the way out to 300yrds
ran out of ladder loads before i got to 500..
it just feels good in your hands -a well balanced weapon
the trigger is the first (old school) factory trigger I have ever not wanted to mod
I even mod my accu triggers - but this one will be left as is- other than previuosly mentioned turn on the spring screw-
only down side is its a 12 twist- Im kinda hesitant about rebarreling it
because its just a neat old rifle the way it is
I am gonna pick up a bolt handle to mod & put on it -so I can save the original
guess I could do the same with the barrell
Im hopeless cant leave well enough alone
try to get pics up later
she's a beauty