PDA

View Full Version : WSM Action to 6.5 Creedmoor

capreppy
05-26-2012, 10:46 PM
I have a M11 Action that is originally a 300 WSM. I had thought to rebarrel to 7 WSM or even 7 RSAUM. I've given up on that idea (at least temporarily) to look at rebarelling this to a 6.5 Creedmoor.

I know that the bolt head needs to be replaced. What about the firing pin? Anything else that needs to be replaced? Magazine? It is currently a stagger fed and don't plan to add bottom metal till I move it to a chasis stock which is still a little ways down the road.

I'm looking to order parts within the next few weeks so want to nail down all of the miscellaneous stuff as soon as possible.

BobT
05-27-2012, 06:40 AM
Do you have a CRF bolt head?

capreppy
05-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Do you have a CRF bolt head?

Don't all WSM actions have CRF bolt heads?

geargrinder
05-27-2012, 03:13 PM
If it is a stagger feed is should be CRF. If it is, you'll have to take out the standing ejector.

Yes, you'll need a new firing pin assembly along with your new bolt head.

A new magazine will be a good idea too just give the best odds of feeding correctly.

geargrinder
05-27-2012, 03:14 PM

No, the center feed WSM's are push feed.

capreppy
05-27-2012, 06:25 PM
If it is a stagger feed is should be CRF. If it is, you'll have to take out the standing ejector.
It is stagger fed

Yes, you'll need a new firing pin assembly along with your new bolt head.
New firing pin assembly or just the firing pin, got it

A new magazine will be a good idea too just give the best odds of feeding correctly.
New Magazine, got it

With the info above, would I better off looking for a 308 based action and use that as a starting point? I have a line on one and may just pick it up and have a better starting point. I'll save this action for a 7 RSAUM build later this year or early next.

geargrinder
05-27-2012, 06:33 PM
The assembly is just a few dollars more than the bare pin. It's worth it to me just to be able to swap out assemblies. Especially since you need to take out the assembly to swap heads.

The only problem with the push feed WSM bolt head is finding them. Nobody lists them online.

cgeorgemo
05-27-2012, 08:17 PM
With the info above, would I better off looking for a 308 based action and use that as a starting point? I have a line on one and may just pick it up and have a better starting point. I'll save this action for a 7 RSAUM build later this year or early next.

If you do that the swap becomes a barrel and just possibly a magazine. The 6.5 Creedmoor might feed from a .308 magazine but the lips might need to be tweaked a bit or the follower swapped out.

capreppy
05-27-2012, 10:24 PM

If you do that the swap becomes a barrel and just possibly a magazine. The 6.5 Creedmoor might feed from a .308 magazine but the lips might need to be tweaked a bit or the follower swapped out.

I just committed to buying that 308 based action. I want something easy and I can always use the WSM action for a WSM round or just sell it. I'm pretty sure I can get what I have into it and it'll be a wash.

BobT
05-29-2012, 12:50 AM

No, the center feed WSM's are push feed.

Not all of them!

CaptNemo
05-29-2012, 11:17 PM

No tweaking required ! Use a short action standard cartridge ( .308 / .243 ) magazine. That's what Savage did on my 12 LRP.

geargrinder
06-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Not all of them!

True, but they are not very common are they?

BobT
06-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Not all of them!

True, but they are not very common are they?

I really don't know but the WSM action I have is a large shank, CRF, center feed.

I am really not up to speed on the center feed actions or the CRF actions either one.

Bob

bowhunter42
06-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Im starting a build turning my M11 300wsm into a 6.5/284 The barrel is already ordered and I had talked with jim at nss, I knew I had to change out the bolt head and already found the part at midway. I was under the impression my wsm was a CRF now im a little confused, how do you tell the difference between push feed and CRF? thanks Jay.

BobT
06-05-2012, 10:21 AM
I was under the impression my wsm was a CRF now im a little confused, how do you tell the difference between push feed and CRF? thanks Jay.

Here you go Jay,

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m100/rltjlt/Savageboltheads001.jpg

The one on the left is a push feed, the right is a CRF, note the slot for the standing ejector.

Bob

bowhunter42
06-05-2012, 09:30 PM
thank you so much Bob, so I know my 116 is push feed and I will have to wait a week to check my wsm as its being blueprinted right now. but if I can remember correctly I believe it is a push feed also, But not 100% sure. I really do thank you for taking the time to help out. Thats why I love this site! Jay

BobT
06-06-2012, 01:45 AM
No problem Jay, I'm glad I could help. Actually it was a little tricky trying to hold 2 bolts in one hand and take the picture with the other one ;D

Bob